Cranberries Apricot Loaf Cake
A soft & moist pound cake, with dried cranberries and apricots. Enjoy this cake with the syrup, and icing if you wish!
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 50 g dried cranberries
- 80 g dried apricots, cut into smaller pcs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 110 g butter, room temperature
- 72 g icing sugar
- 2 tsp milk
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 egg yolk (about 20g)
- 20 ml water
- 20 ml passion fruit juice
- 20 g sugar
Preheat oven to 170C. Grease a 18x6cm cake loaf tin.
Mix the dried fruits with 1.5 tbsp of flour.
Place softened butter into a mixing bowl. Add in icing sugar. Using a whisk or handheld mixer, cream to a pale and fluffy mixture.
Add in the large egg and egg yolk and slowly whisk into the butter mixture. Scrape the bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure the egg is mixed well. Add in vanilla extract and milk. Mix well.
Sift the remaining flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl. Using a spatula, fold in the flour till it is well-mixed.
Add in the dried fruits and flour. Fold to incorporate into the batter.
Scoop the batter into prepared cake tin. Bake for about 30-35 mins.
While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup by combining the ingredients in a pan. Bring it to a brief boil.
Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool.
Once cake is baked, brush or spoon the syrup over the top of the cake (while it is hot). You may or may not use all of the syrup.
Leave the cake to cool slightly before removing from cake tin. Wrap the cake with cling wrap when it has cooled to slightly warm to touch.
- Makes a 18x6cm loaf tin.
- Be sure to leave all ingredients in room temperature. Butter should be soft to touch, but not to the stage of melting.
- I am using passion fruit juice for the syrup. Simply strain the puree of 1 medium sized passion fruit to get 20ml. You can also use orange or lemon juice.
- I am using a longer loaf tin so it takes a shorter time to bake - around 25 mins. If you are not using the exact loaf tin size, do check if the cake is done at around 25 mins onwards.
- Keep the loaf cake well-wrapped in cling wrap so that it does not dry out.
- You may have quite a bit of extra syrup left. So if you do not want to waste it, add some icing sugar to make an icing for the cake! Start by adding icing sugar in this ratio - 1 (syrup) : 2 (sugar). Mix well, and check the consistency. Adjust accordingly by adding more sugar or syrup, if needed.
- Recipe adapted from Le Cordon Bleu.