Red Velvet Cake 红绒丝蛋糕
A light chocolate cake with its unique reddish brown tones. Enjoy this cake with the signature tangy cream cheese frosting!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 6 hours
Servings 6 Inch Cake
- 125 g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 14 g cocoa powder
- 150 g sugar
- 180 ml oil
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 120 ml buttermilk room temperature
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tbsp red gel food coloring optional
- 150 g unsalted butter slightly softened
- 210 g cream cheese
- 135 g to 150g icing sugar sifted
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 170C. Line and grease two 6-inch cake tins.
Whisk the cake flour, salt, cocoa powder in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
Using the electric mixer (paddle attachment), combine sugar and oil. Beat on medium speed till well combined.
Add the egg into the sugar and oil mixture. Beat well.
Add in vanilla extract and red gel food coloring if desired.
Add in flour mixture from Step (2), alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions. Scrap down the sides of bowl with your spatula when needed.
In another small bowl, mix together the baking soda and white vinegar till combined. Add this vinegar mixture to the batter in previous step. Beat for 10 seconds.
Divide the batter evenly between the cake tins.
Bake in the preheated oven at 170C for about 30 mins, or until a skewer comes out clean in the middle.
Cool on cooling rack with the cake tins for 5 mins. Remove cake from the tins and cool completely.
Using the electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed till creamy (about 2 mins).
Add in the cream cheese, beat until fully incorporated. Gradually increase speed to high, beating till fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure mixture is well mixed.
Add in sifted icing sugar. Fold gently till combined.
Return to mixture and beat on high speed for about 1 min till well combined and smooth.
Add vanilla extract, continue beating on high speed for 1 min.
Place a small dollop of frosting on a cake board or serving plate. Place 1 of the cake layer on the frosting. Pile on some frosting on top of the cake, smooth using an offset spatula.
Place the remaining cake layer on top. Crumb coat the cake using a thin layer of frosting all around the cake. Set in fridge for 5-10 mins. Ensure the frosting covers all parts of the cake, otherwise the fridge will dry the cake out.
After the crumb coat is set, remove from fridge and apply the frosting on the sides and top of the cake. Frost and pipe as desired.
- Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.
- This recipe for frosting makes a semi-naked, rustic cake finish. If you would prefer a fully frosted cake, use 1.5x of the ingredients for frosting.
- Total time includes time to cool the cake and assembling the cake. You can choose to make the cake 1 day ahead. Cool the cake layers before cling wrapping them. Store in fridge overnight.
- For tips on frosting, click on this link.