These mini strawberry dacquoise cakes are easy to make for an enjoyable tea time at home! These little cakes are made with delicious, nutty almond meringue biscuit and filled with light creme diplomat and fresh strawberries.
- 60g egg whites (about 2 eggs)
- 22g caster sugar
- 40g ground almond
- 25g icing sugar
- 3g cake flour
- Additional icing sugar for dusting
- 115g pastry cream
- 150g whipping cream, cold
- 10g icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp freeze-dried strawberry powder
- Fresh Korean strawberries, 1 to 2 punnets (about 30 pcs)*
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking tray with parchment paper. Rinse and pat dry strawberries. Reserve 5 whole strawberries, and cut off the stem for the rest of the strawberries.
- Sift together ground almond, 25g icing sugar and cake flour. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites till foamy with handheld mixer. Add sugar in 3 batches gradually. Beat till firm peaks (with a straight hook) or just before stiff peaks (straight peak).
- Lightly pour the sifted dry ingredients into meringue, scattering over the entire surface area of meringue. Fold gently with a rubber spatula till well combined. It should look like an airy and fluffy mixture, with no visible dry ingredients left.
- Pour mixture into piping bag, fitted with Wilton 1A tip. Pipe circular shapes onto lined baking tray. You should have 10 pcs of meringue mixture piped.
- Dust icing sugar all over the piped meringue twice. Turn down preheated oven to 165C. Bake for 20 – 22 mins, until the dacquoise are fully baked and browned. Cool completely on cooling rack.
- While baking the dacquoise, bring pastry cream out from the fridge. Soften and smooth the pastry cream by scraping it against the bowl with a rubber spatula. It should become a softer, spreadable texture.
- In another mixing bowl, beat whipping cream, icing sugar and vanilla extract to firm peaks. Fold in pastry cream from earlier step.
- Remove about 50g of the creme diplomat and fold in strawberry powder. If the cream appears soft now, you can refrigerate both the vanilla and strawberry cream till time to assemble.
- Pipe vanilla creme diplomat in the middle of a pc of dacquoise. Place 5 strawberries on it.
- Pipe the strawberry creme diplomat in the middle. Top with more vanilla creme diplomat (pipe from the centre towards the strawberries gap). Place another pc of dacquoise on top.
- Decorate the top of the assembled dacquoise with a dollop of cream and whole strawberry.
- Repeat for the remaining dacquoise.
- Keep assembled dacquoise chilled till serving time. Garnish with edible gold leaf or icing sugar before serving.
You will need 1 Wilton 1A tip and 2 piping bags for the filling. Use a large baking tray so that you can bake all dacquoise at one go, otherwise they may deflate while sitting and waiting to be baked.
Please weigh the egg whites to ensure accuracy.
You can make a batch of pastry cream from this recipe. You will have extra pastry cream left. If you do not want to cook the pastry cream, you can also use just whipping cream. Increase whipping cream amount to about 250g and icing sugar 25g.
You may replace the strawberry creme diplomat with small pc of chocolate genoise sponge, pound cake or brownie for flavor variation.
Recipe adapted from Arikitchen.
- Prep Time: 15 Mins
- Cook Time: 20 Mins
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Strawberry, Dacquoise, Cake