This cabbage mushroom rice is a comforting and delicious one-pot meal. You get carbs and proteins all in just one pot, which makes meal prep easier and more convenient on busy days.
- 2 cups uncooked short-grain rice, washed and drained
- 3 cups hot water*
- 10 – 12 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbsp dried shrimps
- 150g – 200g pork loin, sliced thinly across the grain
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 of small cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp cooking oil*
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Dash of white pepper
- Shiitake mushrooms: Rinse and soak the mushrooms in room temperature water till rehydrated. Squeeze out excess water. Cut and remove stems. Slice mushrooms thinly.
- Dried shrimps: Rinse and soak dried shrimps in hot water till rehydrated. Drain and pat dry.
Cabbage Mushroom Rice:
- Heat cooking oil over medium heat in your inner pot (if you are using thermal pot to cook) or frying pan (if you are using rice cooker). Add minced garlic and saute till fragrant.
- Add dried shrimp and stir fry till fragrant.
- Add pork slices and mushrooms, continue to stir fry till the pork slices are no longer pink on the outside.
- Add chopped cabbage and stir to mix all ingredients well.
- Pour in uncooked rice, followed by seasoning (dark soy, light soy, sesame oil, white pepper). Stir to coat rice grains evenly. If you are using rice cooker to cook, transfer ingredients into your rice cooker pot.
- Pour in hot water, cover with lid and cook on the stove for about 6 – 8 mins*, or until simmering boil. Off heat and transfer to thermal outer pot to continue cooking for 1 – 2 hours. If you are using rice cooker, simply set the timer as per your rice cooker.
- Once cooking is done, fluff up the rice and serve warm. You may want to garnish with some cut spring onions or fried shallots.
I am using short-grain rice as this is what I usually use at home. You can also use long grain rice. The water amount should be about the same as the amount you use when you cook white rice. Don’t omit the dried shrimps as I find that they do soak up some excess moisture.
If you are using the stainless steel inner pot (thermal pot) to stir fry, use 2 tbsp of cooking oil, as the pork slices tend to stick to the heated pot. If you are using non-stick frying pan to stir fry, you may want to reduce to 1 tbsp of cooking oil.
The time taken to boil in the thermal inner pot will also depend on the heat. Keep an eye on the pot and do not let it boil over.
- Prep Time: 15 Mins
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 10 Mins
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Cabbage, Mushroom, Rice