Buttery loaf of simple pound cake with soft, velvety crumbs.Enjoy a slice for your afternoon break or breakfast, with a cup of strong coffee or tea.
- 230g unsalted butter, softened
- 180 g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 220 g cake or top flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and/or line loaf pans. Sift together cake/top flour, baking powder and salt. Combine milk and vanilla. Set both aside.
- Place softened butter in a medium mixing bowl. Add sugar and beat well with handheld mixer, till light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add in 1/3 of sifted dry ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in till no visible streaks of flour is left in the batter.
- Add 1/2 of wet ingredients into batter. Fold well. Repeat and alternate with another 1/3 of dry ingredients, followed by remaining wet ingredients and the last 1/3 portion of dry ingredients. Beat the batter briefly with handheld mixer to ensure no lumps remain.
- Scoop about 1/3 of batter into another bowl. Sift cocoa powder in and fold well.
- Drop dollops of alternating vanilla and chocolate batter in loaf pans. Using a knife, cut through the batter and swirl to make patterns. Tap pans on counter top for a few times.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 35 mins. Decrease temperature to 160C and bake for further 10-15 mins, or until a skewer into the middle of the cake comes out clean. The cake is also ready when just some dry crumbs cling onto the skewer.
- Once cake is baked, let cool completely on a cooling rack.
- You can wrap the pound cake in cling wrap to store overnight in a container at room temperature.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Cakes, Dessert, Tea
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Marble Pound Cake