Light and spongy, these lemon olive oil madeleines are so easy to make! Using a simple one-bowl mix method, enjoy these healthier citrusy tea time delights with your loved ones.
- 4 eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 15g honey
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 50ml fresh lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 lemon, zested
- 50g icing sugar
- 15g lemon juice
- Additional lemon zest, optional
1. Whisk together eggs, sugar and honey in a mixing bowl till combined. Whisk in olive oil and lemon juice.
2. Add in flour, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Mix till just combined. Do not overmix.
3. Pour batter into piping bag. Chill batter in the fridge for about 30 – 60 mins.
4. Preheat oven to 175C. Spray or grease madeleine pans with oil. Remove batter from fridge. Pipe and fill madeleine pan to almost the brim. The batter will be quite runny.
5. Bake in preheated oven at 175C, middle rack, for about 15-16 mins, or until the edges of each madeleine turn golden brown.
6. Cool madeleine pan on cooling rack. Remove madeleines from pan when they have cooled till just warm to touch.
9. While waiting for madeleines to cool, prepare the glaze. Sift icing sugar into lemon juice and whisk well. Brush lemon syrup generously onto the madeleines (the “shell” side) when they are removed from pan and still warm. Sprinkle additional lemon zest if preferred.
You may not finish the lemon glaze. I brush the glaze on each madeleine, and let them dry a little bit, before I apply the glaze for another round. You can brush the glaze for about 2-3 times on each madeleine.
You may keep the madeleines overnight for the flavor to develop, and serve on the next day.
Recipe adapted from Tasty Mediterraneo.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Lemon Olive Oil Madeleines