- 3 egg yolks
- 60g plain flour
- 50ml oil
- 30g water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or 1/2 tsp rum
- 80g sweetened chestnut puree
- 3 egg whites
- 50g caster sugar
- Cut cooked chestnuts, garnish (optional)
- 150g whipping cream
- 150g – 200g chestnut puree
- Preheat oven to 180C. Place egg yolks and chestnut puree in a mixing bowl. Whisk till smooth.
- Add in oil and water. Stir well to combine with each addition. Add vanilla extract or rum. Mix well.
- Sift flour into the bowl in 2 batches. Whisk till well incorporated each time.
- Using a standing or handheld mixer, whisk egg whites on medium speed. Add sugar in 3 batches. Beat well, gradually increasing speed to medium-high or high, until firm peaks form (or just before firm peak).
- Add 1/3 of meringue into egg yolk batter. Mix well using a cutting motion with your whisk.
- Add another 1/3 part of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture. Fold lightly but swiftly using spatula.
- Pour the batter back into remaining meringue and fold. Check the bottom of mixing bowl to ensure mixture is mixed properly (ie no darker colored batter at the bottom of the mixing bowl).
- Pour batter into the chiffon tin from a height (not too high). Shake the tin gently on the tabletop, so that the batter spreads out evenly. Tap chiffon tin a few times on counter top.
- Bake in preheated oven 180C (bottow 2nd rack) for 13 mins, then 160C for 15 mins, or until skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake is out of oven, invert immediately on an inverted mug or on a tall bottle until totally cooled.
- Remove cake from tin after it is totally cooled (usually takes about 2h or so). Prepare the chestnut cream if preferred.
- Chill mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15mins.
- Place whipping cream in the bowl. Whip using high speed. Do watch out and not overmix. Beat the cream to firm or stiff peaks.
- In another bowl, smooth out chestnut puree by scraping it with a spatula. Add 1/2 portion of whipped cream and fold in well. Add and fold the remaining cream.
- Slice chiffon cake into 6 slices. In each slice, cut the middle portion about 3/4 through.
- Place chestnut cream into piping bag, and pipe the cream in a forward-backward motion.
- Garnish with cooked or candied chestnuts if you wish. Serve the cake chilled.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Chestnut Chiffon Cake