This is a refreshing, fruity orange chiffon cake. Soft and fluffy in texture, you will fall in love with this light but moist cake!
- 3 egg yolks
- 30g oil
- 45g orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 52g top flour, sifted
- 3 egg whites
- 45g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and oil till combined.
- Add in the orange juice and whisk well.
- Add in the top flour and orange zest. Whisk till there is no large lump of flour left. Take note to not over-mix.
- In the mixing bowl of your stand mixer, whisk the egg whites on high speed till frothy.
- Add caster sugar in 3 batches and continue to whisk egg whites to firm peak (peak holds a short and tight hook).
- Take 1/3 of meringue and add into egg yolk batter. Using your whisk, incorporate the meringue in a cutting motion, while rotating the mixing bowl.
- Add in another 1/3 of meringue. Now using your silicon spatula, fold in the meringue gently but swiftly.
- Pour egg yolk batter back into remaining meringue and fold*.
- Pour cake batter into 17-cm chiffon tube pan from a height. Using a skewer or chopstick, draw circles in the batter gently. Tap chiffon pan a few times on counter top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 25 – 27 mins, on the 2nd lowest rack, or until skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean.
- Once out of oven, tap chiffon pan on counter top and invert immediately. Place chiffon tube over a wine bottle, or on an inverted mug. Unmold only when cake has cooled completely (usually about 1-2hours time).
- If you are beginner to chiffon, you might not want to fold the batter in the mixing bowl of your stand mixer, as it is more difficult to do that in a narrow bowl. You can scoop out remaining 1/3 of the meringue into another (wider) mixing bowl to mix with the egg yolk batter.
- Chiffon cakes depend a lot on your oven’s temperature and “temperament”. You will need to understand your oven to have successful chiffon cakes. I will also recommend an oven thermometer for a more accurate temperature while baking.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Orange Chiffon Cake