Light and airy black sesame loaf bread, made using the Poolish method. This loaf of soft bread has a nice nutty aroma from the black sesame seeds, and uses slightly lesser yeast compared to the usual loaf bread.
- 50g bread flour
- 50g water
- 1/8 tsp instant yeast
- 75g whole milk, cold
- 1 egg, cold
- 190g bread flour
- 10g unsweetened black sesame powder
- 10g milk powder (for baking use)
- 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 38g caster sugar
- 15g unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 15g black sesame seeds
- Combine all ingredients for Poolish dough in a container. Mix to combine well. Cover with lid or cling wrap. Ferment in room temperature for about 2 hours before storing in fridge overnight. Alternatively you can also ferment the Poolish dough in room temperature for 6-8 hours.
- On the next day, before using the Poolish dough, bring out from fridge about 30 mins in advance.
- Combine all ingredients, except butter and black sesame seeds, in the bread pan of your bread machine in this sequence: all of Poolish dough, milk, egg, bread flour, sesame powder, milk powder, instant yeast, salt, sugar. Remember to place the yeast and salt at opposite corners of the bread pan.
- Select Bread Dough mode. When the dough comes together, add butter and sesame seeds. I add the butter when my bread machine has about 4-5 mins of kneading time left. If you do not have a bread machine, simply mix all ingredients in your mixer together, like above.
- First proof for about 1h at room temperature, till dough doubles in size.
- Gently degas bread dough. Divide into 2 equal portions. Round the bread dough. Cover with cling wrap and rest for 15 mins.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out 1 portion of the dough: gently press horizontally in the middle of the dough with rolling pin. Roll from middle to top of the dough; then roll from middle to bottom part of the dough. Repeat as needed until dough becomes rectangular shape.
- Roll up the bread dough so that it becomes a swiss roll shape. Repeat for the other portion of bread dough.
- Cover with cling wrap and rest for 10 mins.
- Repeat Steps 5-6 again for both dough. Pinch the end of each dough to seal the edges well. This time, place rolled up dough into greased or lined bread loaf tin, with the sealed edges facing downwards. Cover bread loaf tin with cling wrap.
- Proof for 2nd time, about 1h in room temperature, until dough reaches 90% of tin’s height.
- When the dough reaches 80% of the tin’s height, preheat the oven to 180C.
- When dough is ready, bake in preheated oven at 180C, on 2nd lowest rack, for about 40 mins. You may want to tent the top of the bread halfway through baking time, so it doesn’t brown too much.
- When bread is baked, drop bread loaf tin on counter top. Remove bread from tin and cool completely on a cooling rack by laying the bread on its side.
- Slice only when loaf has cooled totally.
- If you are in a hot country, use cold milk and egg. Similarly, if you are in a cold country, warm up the milk (not hot, as it will kill the yeast) and use room temperature egg.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Bake
Keywords: Black Sesame Bread (Poolish)