Orange marmalade filling sandwiched between 2 layers of buttery shortbread crust. Make these orange marmalade crumble bars for a quick tea time treat!
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease and line an 8″x8″ baking pan. Set aside.
- Whisk together plain flour, both sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add in half portion of cold cubed butter into the dry ingredients. Using your finger tips, rub butter in to the dry ingredients till coarse crumbs form. Add in the remaining portion of cubed butter and continue rubbing in. You can scoop up the crumbs from the bottom of the mixing bowl to ensure there is no traces of white flour left.
- Add in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Using your finger tips, mix in with the coarse crumbs. You may need to knead it gently, till the crumbs come together into a dough.
- Pour slightly more than 1/2 portion of the dough into baking pan. Using the back of spoon, flatten and spread out the dough evenly.
- Pour out orange marmalade (or jam of your choice) onto dough and spread out evenly.
- Crumble remaining portion of dough and scatter on top of the orange marmalade.
- Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 30-35 mins, or until crust is evenly browned.
- Cool pastry in baking pan completely before slicing. Dust with some icing sugar to serve.
You can change the orange marmalade to any jam of your choice. I’ve used about 1 entire jar of St Dalfour thick cut orange spread.
You can also make the pastry crust the easier way by using food processor: blend dry ingredients in Step 2 in food processor. Add in cold cubed butter and blend again. Finally blend in egg yolk and vanilla.
Makes about 4 – 5 adult servings.
- Category: Bar
- Method: Bake