Been down with the terrible viral sinus infection last week, and I tried to "force"…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
This loaf of eggless cherry crumb quick bread is an easy and quick bake, which is great for breakfast or snack for tea! The recipe below also includes substitution for vegan version.
This cherry crumb quick bread is great when fresh cherries are in season!
It can be difficult at times to get really fresh and plump cherries from the supermarkets, so I was pleasantly surprised when I got really plump and fresh cherries from my usual grocery ordering from Open Taste SG. Decided to make this loaf of quick bread with them!
What Are Quick Breads?
This category of bakes can include:
- Batter – such as muffins, quick loaf breads, brownies
- Dough – such as scones, biscuits, donuts
These items can be baked immediately after mixing the batter or dough, compared to yeast breads which will require longer proof time.
How Are Quick Breads Different From Loaf Cakes?
Loaf cakes would have completely different texture compared to quick breads, as loaf cakes are usually made with butter (creaming method) and have tender crumbs. We will also find that loaf cakes usually contain a higher amount of fats.
Quick breads are more like muffins, which use simple mixing method, and mostly use oil in the recipes. So quick breads taste more like muffins – with a denser mouthfeel – that mostly have a lower amount of fats in the recipes.
What Ingredients Do We Need?
We will be using:
- Caster Sugar
- Natural, unsweeteened yogurt: You can use natural full fat yogurt that is unsweetened, or Greek yogurt. Do not use the low fat ones.
- Whole Milk: Use full fat milk, either fresh or UHT would be fine.
- Vanilla Extract: Use a good quality vanilla extract as there is not much other flavoring in this quick bread.
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder / Baking Soda: We will be using both baking powder and baking soda, so don’t skip either one of them!
- Fresh Cherries: Cut the cherries into 1/2 and remove the seed. Further cut the cherries into quarters. Weigh them and it should be about 100g. You can also use slightly more cherries if you prefer.
For the crumb topping, we will be using:
- Plain flour
- Ground Almond
- Caster Sugar
- Melted Butter: You can melt the butter over bain marie or in the microwave. Stir to let the butter dissolve fully. Set aside to cool slightly before using.
- Sliced Almonds: You can crush the sliced almonds with hands while adding the ingredients.
- Ground Cinnamon (Optional)
How Does This Cherry Crumb Quick Bread Taste Like?
This quick bread is quite soft and has a slightly denser mouthfeel, a texture that is similar to muffins. You will also find that it is slightly chewy and not overly sweet.
I actually enjoy the texture of the crunchy crumb topping against the bread’s texture! If you are a cherry lover, you can increase the amount of cherries, to layer some with the batter, so there will be more cherries in the loaf.
You can make this loaf of quick bread to a vegan version by using:
- Vegan or Non-Dairy Yogurt
- Non-Dairy Milk: Such as almond milk, coconut milk, oat milk.
- Coconut Oil: For the crumb topping, you can use coconut oil (liquid at room temp) instead of melted butter.