- 120g unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 65g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 48g salted egg yolk, mashed (about 5–6 pcs of salted yolks)*
Egg Wash & Topping
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 tsp Milk
- Black Sesame Seeds
- Prepare baking trays by lining them with baking paper.
- Prepare egg wash by mixing egg yolk with milk. Sieve once to ensure smoothness. Set aside in fridge.
- Sift together plain flour, baking powder and salt. Add in mashed salted yolk. Set aside.
- Place butter and sugar into a mixing bowl. Using an electric handheld mixer or whisk, cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy on medium low speed.
- Add in dry ingredients from (2) in 2 batches. Mix to incorporate well with each addition.
- You will see the coarse, sandy crumbs forming. You can use a spatula to scrape and “press” the crumbs against the sides and bottom of the bowl to make the dough come together. Or, you can also use your hand to knead gently.
- Wrap dough with cling wrap and chill in fridge for about 30 mins.
- When the dough is firm enough for cutting, bring it out from fridge. Preheat oven to 170C.
- Roll out dough to about 3mm thickness and cut out using cookie cutter.
- Place cut out cookie dough onto lined baking tray.
- Egg wash each dough and sprinkle black sesame seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 12-13 mins, or till the edges are nicely browned.
- Cool cookies on tray till tray is just warm to touch. Then transfer cookies to cool completely on cooling rack. Store in airtight container.
Prepare the salted yolks before hand by steaming the raw yolks for about 15 mins. Set them aside until just warm to touch. You can mash them with a fork, or blitz them in food processor. Weigh the salted yolk “powder” to ensure it is 48g +/-
My cookie cutter is about 3.5cm wide.