These gingerbread man cookies have a very slight crisp around the edges, with a soft and chewy texture inside. Try these yummy spiced cookies, full of the pleasant warm scent from the molasses and brown sugar!
- 145g unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 150g dark or light brown sugar
- 200g unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 437g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice or nutmeg
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter together with brown sugar and molasses with a handheld mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add in egg and vanilla. Beat on high speed till well-combined. Scrape down the bowl to ensure mixture is mixed well.
- In another bowl, whisk to combine flour, baking soda, salt, spices together. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the remaining 1/2 portion and mix well, till no traces of flour is seen.
- Divide dough into 2 portions and wrap well with cling wrap. Place cookie dough into fridge to chill for at least 3 hours, or preferably overnight (up to 3 days).
- When the dough is ready, preheat oven to 175C. Line baking trays.
- Remove 1 portion of the cookie dough from the fridge and roll it out to 1/4 inch thick. Dust the working surface generously with flour to prevent sticking.
- Use your cookie cutter to cut out the dough and place on prepared baking tray. You may need the help of a dough scrapper to move the dough.
- Re-roll dough scraps as needed. You can also use a smaller or various shaped cookie cutters.
- Bake the cookies in preheated oven at 175C for 8-9 mins. If your cookie cutter is larger in size, add about 1-2 mins more to the baking time.
- Once cookies are baked, let them cool in the baking tray on cooling rack for about 10 mins. Move the cookies to the cooling rack to cool completely before storing or decorate as preferred.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
If you do not like too much of the spice, feel free to reduce the amount slightly.
- Category: Cookies
Keywords: Gingerbread Men Cookies