Easy and quick chocolate chip scones which you can make under 30 mins! This recipe is egg-less and does not use butter. You can also make it a dairy-free option by substituting the milk with soy or nut milk.
- 100g bread flour
- 100g top or cake flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 50g oil
- 80g whole milk
- 60g chocolate chips
- Some milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare and line baking tray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in both flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk together.
- Add oil to dry ingredients and mix together with your hand in circles. You should see coarse crumbs coming together.
- Add milk in 2 batches. Mix well.
- Bring dough out onto working tabletop. Roll out dough into a rectangular sheet. Scatter chocolate chips on the surface of dough. Fold the left and right part of the dough towards the centre.
- Turn the dough horizontal and roll it out again. Repeat folding of the dough towards the centre.
- Repeat above folding for another 3-4 times (total 5-6 times of folding).
- Roll the dough into 2-3cm thickness. Using a 6cm cutter, cut out the dough and place them on prepared baking tray. You can also just cut the dough into squares. Brush the top of each dough with milk.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 15-20 mins, or till the top is browned nicely.
- Cool on wire rack till warm before serving; or cool completely before storing in container.
Do not reduce sugar as the scones are not sweet.
You can replace chocolate chips with any add-in of your choice, eg. raisin or dried cranberries.
To reheat, simply heat the scones in preheated oven at 180C for 2-3 mins.
- Method: Mixing
Keywords: Scones, Chocolate Chips