Easy and quick chocolate chip scones which you can make under 30 mins!
This recipe is egg-less and does not use butter.
You can also make it a dairy-free option by substituting the milk with soy or nut milk.
School holidays are here once again! I really enjoy quick and easy recipes to make teatime treats for my kids, as you can see on my blog.
This is why I really love this easy and quick to make chocolate chip scone recipe! You do not need to cut butter into small chunks, nor blend the butter carefully into the dry ingredients. There is also no need to chill the dough.
Simply just make the dough, bake and enjoy the scones! Let’s read on to find out how to make them!
What Are Scones?
There are mainly 2 types of scones: the American and the English scones.
English scones are more similar to biscuits, which is light and airy with well-defined flaky layers. American scones tend to be denser and richer in taste.
Scones are usually enjoyed with a hot beverage, with clotted cream, butter, jam (or all of the above :p).
You’ll find the texture of these chocolate chip scones leaning towards that of flaky biscuits.
How Do These Chocolate Chip Scones Taste Like?
These scones are slightly crispy on the outside and tender inside, and taste best when freshly baked (or simply let cool for a while). Eat them when they are slightly warm, with your favourite cup of hot beverage. Also serve the scones with clotted cream, butter or jam!
These scones are not sweet, with a slight savory taste to them. The chocolate chips add some sweetness and depth to the taste, so don’t leave the chocolate chips out! You can also swap the chocolate chips with raisin or other dried fruits that you prefer.
>> MORE YUMMY TEA TIME RECIPES:
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Them?
Just 6 easy ingredients for these chocolate chip scones!
- Flour: We are using both bread flour and cake (or top) flour here.
- Baking Powder
- Caster Sugar
- Oil: You can use normal neutral tasting cooking oil, eg corn oil, rice bran oil etc
- Whole Milk: To make these scones into dairy-free option, you can use soy milk or almond milk
- Chocolate Chips: You can also replace chocolate chips with other add-in of your choice!
Are These Chocolate Chip Scones Easy to Make?
Yes! I love how easy these scones are, and they are really quick to make! For a quick and easy tea time treat, make the dough in less than 30 mins, and then bake for about 15-20 mins in the oven.
In this recipe, you do not need to carefully rub in or blend cold butter into the dry ingredients. You just need to mix the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients, form into dough, and then cut them out!
Easy and quick chocolate chip scones which you can make under 30 mins! This recipe is egg-less and does not use butter. You can also make it a dairy-free option by substituting the milk with soy or nut milk.
- 100g bread flour
- 100g top or cake flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 50g oil
- 80g whole milk
- 60g chocolate chips
- Some milk for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare and line baking tray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add in both flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk together.
- Add oil to dry ingredients and mix together with your hand in circles. You should see coarse crumbs coming together.
- Add milk in 2 batches. Mix well.
- Bring dough out onto working tabletop. Roll out dough into a rectangular sheet. Scatter chocolate chips on the surface of dough. Fold the left and right part of the dough towards the centre.
- Turn the dough horizontal and roll it out again. Repeat folding of the dough towards the centre.
- Repeat above folding for another 3-4 times (total 5-6 times of folding).
- Roll the dough into 2-3cm thickness. Using a 6cm cutter, cut out the dough and place them on prepared baking tray. You can also just cut the dough into squares. Brush the top of each dough with milk.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 15-20 mins, or till the top is browned nicely.
- Cool on wire rack till warm before serving; or cool completely before storing in container.
Do not reduce sugar as the scones are not sweet.
You can replace chocolate chips with any add-in of your choice, eg. raisin or dried cranberries.
To reheat, simply heat the scones in preheated oven at 180C for 2-3 mins.
- Method: Mixing
Keywords: Scones, Chocolate Chips