Tender beef, cooked in a flavorsome pot of stew, with root vegetables and spices. This pot of beef stew is comfort food especially on cold weather. Serve with bread, rice or sides.
- 400g beef chuck tender, cut
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Some flour to coat
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut to chunks
- 1 rib celery, diced or cut to small pc
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100g mushrooms, cut
- 1.5 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 350 ml broth
- 1 tbsp worchester sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut to chunks
- Parsley (fresh or dried)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in deep pan or pot. Once hot, sear beef on all sides till evenly browned. Do not overcrowd the beef on the pan. You may need to sear the beef in batches, depending on the size of your pan.
- Once beef is evenly browned on all sides, remove onto a plate, along with browned bits in pan.
- Heat another tbsp of oil. Saute onion and garlic till fragrant.
- Stir in celery, carrot and mushrooms. Toss to cook for about 1-2 mins.
- Add beef back into pan. Stir in flour and tomato paste. Stir to coat evenly.
- Add in broth and bay leaf. Stir to cook. Bring broth to boil.
- Once boiled, add worchester and soy sauce. Reduce heat to simmer for 40-45 mins.
- Add in potatoes and continue simmering for 20-30 mins.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot with bread, rice or sides.
I cooked the stew with my thermal pot: sear the beef in non-stick pan, and then following Step 4 onwards using my inner pot. Once broth boils, continue to let it boil for about 20 mins before removing inner pot to place in outer pot. Let stew continue cooking in outer pot for about 3-4 hours. Remove and place inner pot on stove. Add potatoes and bring stew to a boil. Simmer for about 20-30 mins further. Serve immediately.
If you do not have broth, use water and season with more salt at the end. The stew may not be as flavorful compared to using broth.
You can also add more water to the stew if it gets too thick towards the end.