This clear, light white radish soup is “cooling” and detoxifying,
with a touch of sweetness from the red dates. Great especially during hot weather!
This light white radish soup is one of my family’s favorite Chinese soup during our dinner time! How about you? Have you tried this soup before?
Why Is This White Radish Soup Good For Hot Weather?
As the Chinese believe that white radish has some “cooling” and detoxifying properties for our bodies, we usually like to drink this when the weather gets hot.
Despite this white radish soup is to be drank hot (yes on hot weather), it does feel nourishing and comforting to the tummy!
What Ingredients Do I Need For This Soup?
- White Radish, Daikon – You can get the white radish readily from markets or supermarkets. Simply wash, peel and cut into chunks. The white radish cooks into a nice, soft texture in this soup!
- Pork Ribs – You can use pork soup bones, pork ribs or prime ribs for the soup. Alternatively, you can also use chicken bones, or a combination of both pork and chicken bones.
- Dried Ikan Bilis and Dried Scallops – These dried “seafood” help to add flavor into the soup. If you do not have these, you can increase the amount of pork ribs slightly. For dried scallops, try to get the larger M or L size ones. The small ones tend to carry some fishy smell.
- Red Dates – Don’t skip these! The red dates add some sweetness to the soup.
- Fresh Corn – Similar to red dates, corn adds sweetness and flavor to the soup.
>> MORE CHINESE SOUP RECIPES:
Why Do I Need to Blanch the Pork Bones?
Blanching the bones can remove blood and scum in them, so that the boiled soup will be clear and light. You can do so by putting the bones in a pot of boiling water for about 5-10 mins. Discard the water and rinse the bones.
Is This Soup Easy to Cook?
Yes absolutely! You can simply boil and simmer on the stove top, for about 2 hours or so. I like to save time by boiling the soup in my thermal pot in the morning, and then have a bowl of this nourishing goodness during dinner time (do remember to reboil every 6-8 hours for food safety).
The recipe below serves about 1 bowl of soup for 2-3 adults. If you might increase the amount of water, do remember to increase the other ingredients proportionately for best taste.
A clear, nourishing and detoxifying bowl of Chinese soup. Frequently prepared during hot weather, as the white radish is believed to have some “cooling” properties on our bodies.
- 120g – 140g pork ribs, blanched
- 1 sweet corn, cut into pcs
- 1 radish, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 – 4 pcs of red dates
- Handful of ikan bilis (about 1/2 of a rice bowl), rinsed
- 2 pcs of dried scallops (optional)
- 700ml water
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- Bring the 700ml water to a boil in a pot.
- Once water has boiled, put in all ingredients.
- Bring water to a roaring boil. Continue to boil for about 20 mins.
- Lower heat to low and continue simmering for 1-2 hours. (Or move thermal pot to outer pot in this step)
- You may season with some salt for taste before serving. Serve soup warm with some dishes and / or white steamed rice.
- You can use pork soup bones / pork ribs / prime ribs, or chicken bones or a combi of both bones.
- Blanch bones in boiling hot water for 5-10 mins to remove blood and scum.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: Chinese Soup