- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 120g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 140g mashed pumpkin
- 50g whole milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, optional
- 200g plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line 8″x8″ pan.
- Whisk to combine eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Sift together plain flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Beat softened butter and sugar till fluffy and lighter in color.
- Add in 1/2 of egg mixture. Beat well.
- Mix in 1/3 of dry ingredient, till no traces of flour can be seen.
- Add in remaining egg mixture. Beat well.
- Add in another 1/3 of dry ingredient. Mix well.
- Mix in mashed pumpkin.
- Add in remaining dry ingredient. Mix till no traces of white flour can be seen.
- Remove 2 tbsp of batter and mix in cocoa powder.
- Pour remaining pumpkin cake batter into prepared pan. Smooth batter on top.
- Drop dollops of cocoa cake batter on top and make a swirl pattern. Top with pumpkin seeds.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for about 30-35 mins, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out relatively clean, or with a few dry crumbs.
- Let cool completely on wire rack before storing in container. Taste better overnight.
To make mashed pumpkin, simply peel pumpkin and cut into smaller pcs. Steam pumpkin pcs over medium-high heat, for about 15-20 mins. Mash the pumpkin while it is still hot. For 140g of mashed pumpkin, you can steam about 170-180g of raw pumpkin.