Soft and fluffy chiffon sponge cake, with a light and subtle Gula Melaka aftertaste, moist enough to be eaten on its own. Great for everyday treat – have it together with a cup of hot tea or coffee!
Egg Yolk Batter
- 3 egg yolks
- 28g Gula Melaka, finely chopped
- 23g whole milk
- 20g oil
- 50g top or cake flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 egg whites
- 28g caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar, optional
- Preheat oven to 140C. Position oven rack at the lowest rack slot.
- Get 6″ removable base pan ready for use. Do not need to grease or line pan.
- Melt Gula Melaka with milk over low heat. Do not let milk boil or thicken too much. Stir constantly.
- Strain Gula Melaka milk mixture when the sugar melts. You should have about 45g of milk mixture. Set aside to cool completely.
Egg Yolk Batter
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and oil. Add in cooled Gula Melaka milk mixture and mix well.
- Sift in top flour and salt in 2 batches. Whisk well with each addition. The batter should look fairly thick and smooth, free from lumps of flour.
- In a dry and grease-free mixing bowl, whisk egg whites on medium speed. When the egg whites are frothy with large bubbles (egg whites still fairly translucent), add in 1/3 of sugar.
- Continue beating, and when egg whites thicken slightly, add in another 1/3 of the sugar.
- When the egg whites thicken more, add in remaining sugar and continue to beat.
- As you beat the egg whites, you will see “lines” appearing in the meringue. We will beat the meringue till firm peak (short firm hook) or nearly stiff peak (slanting peak). The meringue should look fairly glossy and firm.
- Take 1/3 of meringue and mix into egg yolk batter using your whisk, in a cutting motion, as you rotate the bowl.
- Add another 1/3 of the meringue. Fold gently using rubber spatula.
- Pour egg yolk batter back into remaining meringue. Fold gently.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Shake against countertop to level the batter.
- Tap 2-3 times on countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 140C for 30 mins and then 160C for 34-38 mins. Cake is ready when skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Tap pan on countertop for 2-3 times. Overturn pan and cool completely (about 1h time).
- The cake pan I am using is a 6″ aluminum removable base pan, about 3″ in height.
- Try not to let the gula melaka milk mixture come to a boil and evaporate otherwise it may affect the texture in the cake after being baked.
- You can increase the sugar for meringue to 35g for a more stable meringue. Do note that the cake will be sweeter.
- Baking time is for reference only. You will need to know your oven’s temperature for rack position as well as temperature to bake in and for how long. Feel free to adjust the 2nd baking temperature and the total baking time according to your oven.
- Method: Chiffon
Keywords: Chiffon, Sponge, Cake