A nourishing Chinese slow simmered soup which aids in “cooling” the body. Cook it in thermal pot for a richly flavored and thick soup.
- 1 L water
- 1 small / medium sized old cucumber (cut)
- 1 sweet corn (cut)
- 1 medium sized carrots (peeled and cut)
- 150 g pork ribs
- 1/2 small rice bowl of ikan bilis
- 2 red dates
- 1–2 medium sized dried scallops
- Prepare pork ribs by blanching in a pot of boiling water (aside from the 1L water stated above), for about 5 mins. Off heat and drain. Rinse the ribs to get rid of scums.
- Bring the 1L water, in soup pot or thermal inner pot, to a boil. Add in all ingredients. Once reached a boil, turn down the heat slightly and let the soup continue simmering for about 2-3 hours. Off heat and serve.
(If using thermal inner pot, once water has boiled, turn down heat and simmer for 20 mins, then transfer to thermal outer pot to continue “cooking”. Reboil every 6-8h until serving time.)
Ensure that you scrub the old cucumber well if you are cooking with skin. Also scrap out the seeds with a metal spoon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Soup, Lunch
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Chinese