A nourishing Chinese slow simmered soup which aids in “cooling” the body. Cook it overnight in thermal pot for a richly flavored and thick soup.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
What is Old Cucumber?
Old cucumber is simply cucumber that has been aged, which is mostly used to make this simmered soup. The old cucumber is believed to have “cooling” effects, so we usually make this soup during hot weather to “cool” the body.
When using the old cucumber, do remember to scrub the skin well. I am quite lazy (lol) as I don’t really have a lot of time, so I usually peel off the skin. If you peel off the skin too, then remember to cut the old cucumber in larger pcs so they do not disintegrate into the soup.
For the seeds, you can use a metal spoon to scrap them out, before cutting into pcs.
>> MORE CHINESE SOUP RECIPES:
What Other Ingredients Do We Also Use?
For Chinese soups, we usually like to also use red dates, dried scallops and ikan bilis for added flavor. Sometimes dried cuttlefish is also being used.
If you are adding dried scallops, do ensure you are using the M or L sized dried scallops. I like to use the M size Japanese dried scallops as they do not smell or taste “fishy” as the small ones. If you are also using dried cuttlefish, you can consider adding a small pc of ginger to get rid of the “fishy” taste too.
How Can We Make the Soup Taste Better?
For this soup, you can simmer on the stove, over low heat, for about 1.5 – 2 hours to bring out the rich flavors.
This time, I used my Thermos thermal pot (1.8L). I boiled the soup the night before, on the stove, for about 20 mins at a roaring boil. Then I transfer the inner pot to the thermal pot overnight. If you are using this method, do ensure that you reboil (to a roaring boil) at every 6-8h for food safety reasons.
If you look at the picture above, you can see how thick the soup is! It tastes extra nourishing and warm for cool weather too!
Old Cucumber Soup
- 1 L water
- 1 small / medium sized old cucumber cut
- 1 sweet corn cut
- 1 medium sized carrots peeled and cut
- 150 g pork ribs
- 1/2 small rice bowl of ikan bilis
- 2 red dates
- 1 medium sized dried scallops
- Prepare the pork ribs by blanching in a pot of boiling water (aside from the 1L water stated above), for about 5 mins. Off heat and drain. Rinse the ribs to get rid of scums.
- Prepare ikan bilis, red dates and dried scallop by rinsing. Set aside.
- Bring the 1L water in thermal inner pot to a boil. Add in pork ribs, corn, carrot, old cucumber, ikan bilis, red dates and dried scallop. Once reached a roaring boil, turn down the heat slightly and let the soup continue boiling for about 20 mins. Off heat and remove pot. Place inner pot into thermal pot to continue "cooking". Reboil every 6-8h until serving time.