Light and mildly sweet muffins, packed with dried cranberries and candied orange peel, these muffins are great for Christmas morning!
Why would this be called Christmas Morning Muffins? I realised that it might be because they are really light with tender crumbs, and mildly sweetened, that allows you to eat more during lunch and dinner on Christmas Day (lol!).
It is a one-bowl mix recipe, so it’s also quite convenient to whip up in the morning. Though I find the taste of the muffins to be nicer on the next day, after the flavors managed to develop overnight.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
How Do These Christmas Morning Muffins Taste?
These muffins have a slight cinnamon scent, which makes them extra Christmas-y. If you don’t like cinnamon, you can reduce the amount to 1/8 tsp instead.
Cinnamon pairs really well with dried fruits such as dried cranberries and orange peel, so I would recommend you to have some cinnamon scent in it. If you have nutmeg, you can try to sprinkle a pinch of it as well!
As the sugar is quite little in the recipe, the dried cranberries lends a little more sweetness to the overall taste – so don’t cut the amount of dried fruits 🙂
I also drizzled some easy icing on top of the muffins, with some Christmas sprinkles. You can also drizzle some white or dark chocolate.
>> MORE YUMMY MUFFIN RECIPES:
How To Make Them?
This recipe uses the usual muffin method – mixing the dry and wet ingredients together.
It can be a simple one-bowl mix style, but I usually like to gather the dry ingredients in one bowl, and the wet ingredients in another before mixing them all together.
There’s no need to pre-soak the dried cranberries before hand. Simply make sure that the dried cranberries do not clump together.
Christmas Morning Muffins
- 250 g plain flour
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml oil or melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 g dried cranberries
- 80 g candied orange peel
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 2.5 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare cupcake or muffin pan by lining it with paper holders.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and ground cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk*, oil, egg and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dried ingredients and whisk well till combined.
- Fold in the dried cranberries and candied orange peel.
- Spoon batter into paper holders in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 20-22 mins, till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the muffins are golden brown on top.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- For the icing, combine icing sugar with water. Drizzle on cooled muffins. Top with sprinkles if needed.