- 250 g plain flour
- 2 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 110 g caster sugar
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 200 ml buttermilk
- 75 ml oil or melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 80 g dried cranberries
- 80 g candied orange peel
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 2.5 tsp water
- Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare cupcake or muffin pan by lining it with paper holders.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and ground cinnamon in a medium mixing bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk*, oil, egg and vanilla extract in another bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dried ingredients and whisk well till combined.
- Fold in the dried cranberries and candied orange peel.
- Spoon batter into paper holders in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 20-22 mins, till a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, and the muffins are golden brown on top.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- For the icing, combine icing sugar with water. Drizzle on cooled muffins. Top with sprinkles if needed.
1. Make your own buttermilk by placing 3/4 tbsp of vinegar in a bowl + top up milk to 200g or 200ml.
2. You can also sprinkle in some ground nutmeg if you have.
3. For the glaze, you can adjust the thickness by adding more icing sugar (to thicken) or water (to make it more runny). You can also melt white / dark chocolate to drizzle on top instead.
4. If you are not using any glaze, simply sprinkle on some coarse or raw sugar before baking to add some sweetness.
5. The muffin cups that I am using are slightly bigger so the recipe makes only 9 pcs. If you are using regular cupcake pan, you should get 12 pcs.
6. Recipe adapted with thanks from Nigella Lawson.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Christmas
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American