These moonlight cookies are milky and soft cookies that toddlers and young kids will love! Easy to mix and bake for a quick snack.
I am a big fan of Japanese confectioneries, even before I had kids. So naturally my choice of food and snacks influenced my kids too haha!
The kiddos love those Japanese cookies that we see frequently in supermarkets. These days as I have to work, and have lesser time cooking and baking at home, we had to turn to store bought cookies for their snack fix sometimes.
I wonder if you are familiar with Morinaga Moonlight Cookies? The sweet, small cookies are really buttery and creamy in taste!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
How Do These Cookies Taste Like?
These little cookies may not taste exactly like Morinaga‘s, but they are easy to make and bake. It uses simple ingredients from pantry, which is probably readily available.
This recipe uses egg yolk, milk powder and condensed milk. So you can imagine the rich, creamy taste in it! As store bought condensed milk these days contains quite a handful of additives, I decided to substitute with honey.
Just be careful to measure the milk powder and honey (or condensed milk) accurately, using a knife to remove excess from the tablespoon. Otherwise the cookie dough may be too sticky to handle.
>> MORE EASY COOKIE RECIPES:
How To Make Them?
This recipe uses the usual creaming method. To ensure cookie success, be sure to let butter soften in room temperature for about 15-25 mins before using. When pressed down lightly, you should see a dent on the butter, which feels slightly soft to touch.
If you prefers a super milky taste, you can use condensed milk. As most condensed milk these days contain much additives, I opt for honey as a substitute. Both condensed milk and honey helps to make the centre of the cookies soft with crispy edges.
You will need to chill the cookie dough before cutting them out, as the dough can be slightly sticky. So, be sure to dust your working surface with flour adequately, and dust the cookie cutter frequently to prevent sticking.
What is The Texture of These Cookies?
So while I wouldn’t say that these cookies are exact replicate of Morinaga Moonlight Cookies, I thought that these cookies indeed has a taste of nostalgia!
As these cookies uses egg yolk and has honey (or condensed milk) in it, they won’t be super crunchy or crispy. I find that these softer cookies, which are slightly crunchy on the edges, seem to appeal to toddlers tastebuds (my kids love them)! As cookies are usually sweet, do ration to the kids if you are watching their sugar intake.
- 80 g cake or top flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 30 g unsalted butter softened
- 27 g sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp skim or full cream milk powder
- 1 tbsp honey (or condensed milk)
- Some plain or cake flour (for dusting)
- Line baking tray with baking paper.
- Place softened butter in a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, stir through the softened butter to "loosen" it up. Add in sugar and mix well.
- Following the sequence, add in: egg yolk, honey (or condensed milk), milk powder. After adding in each item, be sure to whisk to mix well before next addition.
- Add sifted flour into the mixture above. Using a spatula and cutting motion, cut the flour into the butter mixture till it resembles coarse crumbs. Now using a "pressing" motion, press the mixture against the side or base of mixing bowl using spatula or your hands to let the dough come together.
- Place dough onto cling wrap and chill in refrigerator for about 30-60 mins. Preheat oven to 170C.
- After chilling, remove from fridge. The dough may be sticky, so dust the working surface with flour. Place a pc of non-stick baking paper or cling wrap on top of the cookie dough and roll out into 4mm thickness. Using a round cookie cutter (5cm diameter), cut out dough and place onto lined baking tray. You can dust the cookie cutter and dough slightly for easier cutting.
- Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 10-12 mins till golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few mins on cooling rack before removing cookies frm tray to cool completely on cooling rack.