Soft and rich pound cake, with a little warm cinnamon flavor – this banana walnut pound cake goes well with tea or black coffee.
If you have some spare bananas, you can consider making this simple pound cake! You don’t need a lot of bananas for this recipe, so it is great to use up those leftover, super ripe bananas.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
Is This Pound Cake Dense & Heavy?
Pound cakes are usually denser, compared to genoise or egg separation type of sponge cakes.
For this banana walnut pound cake, it has quite soft and moist (rich) crumbs, thanks to the whipping cream. For best result, do remember to get dairy whipping cream (35-38% fat). There may also be reduced fat or cooking cream at around 20+% fat. If you use these cream, the cake may not be as moist and rich.
I didn’t particularly feel the greasiness or jerlat feel after eating the cake. However I find that the type of butter used is quite important. I always love using French butter because it seems to produce finer crumbs that are not so oily.
>> MORE CAKE RECIPES:
Tips In Preparing The Batter
When making butter cakes, it is important that we whip the butter and sugar together till it becomes light and fluffy. During the process of adding the egg, do ensure the eggs are in room temperature, and you combine the eggs into the batter slowly.
This minimises curdling of the mixture so you can have a better texture and bake.
Finally, sift in the dry ingredients and fold in till just combined.
Banana Walnut Pound Cake
- 95 g butter, softened at room temperature
- 75 g sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 35 g whipping cream, room temperature
- 45 g mashed banana
- 120 g plain flour
- 3 g baking powder (about 3/4 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder, optional
- 25 g chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line loaf pan.
- Add sugar to softened butter in 2 batches. Whip using handheld mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add in beaten eggs in 3 batches. Mix till light and pale on medium speed.
- Add in whipping cream and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Sift in plain flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Fold in well with a spatula. Do not overmix. Simply check that there are no pockets of visible flour left after mixing.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 30-35 mins.
- Once cake is baked, cool on wire rack. When the cake is still slightly warm, you can wrap it up with cling wrap to lock in the moistness of the cake.