Are you a beginner in baking, looking to try out recipes to hone your baking…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Soft and rich pound cake, with a little warm cinnamon flavor – this banana walnut pound cake goes well with tea or black coffee.
If you have some spare bananas, you can consider making this simple butter cake! You don’t need a lot of bananas for this recipe, so it is great to use up those leftover, super ripe bananas.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
Is This A Pound Cake?
This recipe is a modified pound cake recipe. The traditional pound cake recipe is slightly denser and can be a little dry at times. This banana walnut cake adds in some whipping cream for moister crumbs.
For best result, get dairy whipping cream with 35-38% fat. You may see reduced fat cream or cooking cream at around 20+% fat in supermarkets. If you use these reduced fat cream, the cake may not be as moist as it should be.
For myself, I love butter cakes and I didn’t particularly feel the greasiness or jerlat feel after eating the cake. Also, I find that the type of butter used is quite important. You can try French butter for a lighter cake. I like to use Elle & Vire or Paysan Breton 🙂
>> MORE CAKE RECIPES:
Which Type of Bananas?
I usually use the bigger sized bananas, such as Del Monte. For a stronger banana flavor and taste, wait till the banana ripens well – that is, you get dark brown spots on the skin of the bananas.
These ripened bananas make the cake sweeter too!
Tips In Preparing The Batter
When making butter cakes, it is important that we take a few minutes to whip the butter and sugar together, till it becomes light and fluffy. During the process of adding the egg, do ensure the eggs are in room temperature, and you combine the eggs into the batter slowly.
This minimises curdling of the mixture so you can have a better texture and bake.
Finally, sift in the dry ingredients and fold in till just combined. Overmixing might make the cake dense or have a “rubbery” texture.
Banana Walnut Pound Cake
- 95 g butter, softened at room temperature
- 75 g sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 35 g whipping cream, room temperature
- 45 g mashed banana
- 120 g plain flour
- 3 g baking powder (about 3/4 tsp)
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon powder, optional
- 25 g chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line loaf pan.
- Add sugar to softened butter in 2 batches. Whip using handheld mixer till light and fluffy.
- Add in beaten eggs in 3 batches. Mix till light and pale on medium speed.
- Add in whipping cream and mashed banana. Mix well.
- Sift in plain flour, baking powder and cinnamon powder. Fold in well with a spatula. Do not overmix. Simply check that there are no pockets of visible flour left after mixing.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 30-35 mins.
- Once cake is baked, cool on wire rack. When the cake is still slightly warm, you can wrap it up with cling wrap to lock in the moistness of the cake.