Simple, homemade muffins loaded with chocolate chips, which are quick to whip up for afternoon tea. All time kids’ favourite!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
How Different Is This Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe?
In the past, my muffin recipes are mostly made using oil. Muffins made using oil are usually lighter and softer in texture.
This muffin recipe uses creaming of butter and sugar – which results in muffins with more bite! Butter-based muffins, cupcakes and cakes often carries a tighter crumb and are richer in texture, which is great for butter cake lovers!
I am using DIY buttermilk for this recipe, but it is also fine to just use milk.
I find the taste for these muffins richer than my usual ones that uses oil, but still not as moist 🙂
If you prefer moister crumbs, check out some of the muffin recipe links I’ve listed below, which uses oil.
Other than chocolate chips, feel free to swap out using your favourite chips – caramel, peanut butter. Or you can even add chopped fruits to it!
>> MORE MUFFIN RECIPES:
What Can Go Wrong With Muffin Recipes?
Sometimes, we can experience some dry muffins, or “tunnels” in muffins. It can happen during the preparation process.
So for this recipe, ensure that you “loosen” up the softened butter slightly before adding the sugar. You will also need to whisk the butter till light and fluffy (a handheld mixer can do this easily!). If you are using demerara unrefined sugar, make sure you choose the finer grain type.
While folding in the dry ingredients, make sure you do not overmix 🙂
Also, do not overbake them! Bake till they are evenly browned, and when a skewer inserted into the middle of muffin comes out clean (or with a few dry crumbs).
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 120 g Cake / Top Flour
- 20 g Sugar
- 30 g Brown Sugar / Demerara Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 60 g Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 50 g Egg
- 60 g Buttermilk* / Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 90 g Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 180C. Add vanilla into buttermilk and set aside.
- Place softened butter in mixing bowl. Whisk the butter slightly with handheld mixer or whisk.
- Add in both sugar. Whisk till butter mixture turn pale and light in color.
- Add in egg in 3 batches. Mix well with each addition.
- Sift flour and baking powder into mixture above. Using a spatula, fold in 1/2 of the flour lightly.
- Add 1/2 portion of the buttermilk into the batter above. Ensure that you mix well.
- Add in remaining flour and mix well. Add in the remaining buttermilk and mix well.
- Reserve about 1/4 portion of chocolate chips. Add in the rest of the chocolate chips into batter. Mix in lightly.
- Spoon batter into 6 muffin cups (near to the brim of the cups; about 90% full). Add reserved chocolate chips on the top of the batter. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for about 20-23 mins.
- Cool completely on wire rack before storing in airtight container.