A bowl of comforting nutritious soup, great for cold weather.
- 150–200 g pork ribs
- 200 g lotus root, cleaned and sliced
- 2 pc dried scallop (medium sized)
- 3 pcs red dates
- 40 g peanuts
- 3 tbsp ikan bilis
- 1.2L water
- 1 pc dried cuttlefish, optional
- Soak peanuts in hot water for 30 mins to soften. Rinse and drain ikan bilis.
- Blanch pork ribs in a pot of boiling water (aside from the 1.2L water) for about 5 mins. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- Bring 1.2L water to a boil in a pot. Add in all ingredients. You can also add in dried cuttlefish if you like. Allow water to boil again. Reduce heat slightly to let it come to a simmering boil for about 2-3 hours. You may add salt to season the soup slightly.
- Serve warm with rice, and some dark soy sauce and cut chili.
– Pork Ribs: You can use pork ribs, prime ribs, or a combi of ribs and pork bones, or add in additional chicken carcass, or a few chicken feet. Blanch all the bones together in step 1.
– Other than simmering over the stove, you may also use a thermal pot to boil for 20-30 mins before moving to the outer pot for 4-5h. Should you keep the soup in the pot for a longer time, ensure that you reboil every 8h for food safety.
– You may also add in some salt for taste. Recommended to skip salt if you are serving to children.
- Category: Dinner, Soup
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: Chinese