Mini soft snowskin mooncakes (50g) with fragrant osmanthus lotus paste.
- 200 g premix snowskin flour ((KCT))
- 25 g shortening
- 150 g cold water
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin powder, (optional)
- 224 g osmanthus lotus paste
- Extra kao fen (fried glutinous rice flour), (for dusting)
- Prepare lotus paste filling by weighing out 28g each. Roll them into balls. Place into air-tight container, in the fridge. (I usually line the bottom of container with clingwrap so the lotus paste doesn’t stick to the container)
- Place the premix flour into a medium bowl. Using your fingers, rub in the shortening to the flour as well distributed as possible.
- Add in the cold water and mix into a pliable dough with a spatula.
- Separate out about 70g of the dough, and add in the pumpkin powder. You can also use yellow food gel coloring. Knead till the color is uniform, and dough is smooth. Also knead the other white dough till smooth.
- Cling wrap both dough and set aside for about 15 mins.
- Once dough is ready, separate out into yellow dough x 2 and white dough x 2. Roll the dough into a longish log shape. Place the dough on countertop, alternating each color.
- Using a benchscrapper, cut dough and weigh about 22g each. Set aside each of the cut out dough.
- Dust your countertop with kao fen. Place the snowskin dough on the countertop, put a pc of baking or wax paper on top of the dough. Using your benchscrapper, press down onto the dough to flatten it.
- Dust your hands with kao fen, take the snowskin dough and wrap with the filling. Roll to smooth out creases. Pat a little kao fen on the top surface of the mooncake.
- Dust the mooncake mold with kao fen generously. Ensure you also dust the sides of the mold properly. Tap the mold to knock out excess kao fen. Place mooncake into the mold, press against the countertop firmly.
- Release the snowskin mooncake. Brush off excess kao fen, if any. Store in airtight container, in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
– This makes 16 pcs of 50g mini snowskin mooncakes
– You can use osmanthus flower tea in place of the cold water. Simply steep 1 tbsp dried osmanthus flower in 150g hot water. Let cool completely before storing in the fridge to chill it.
– If you don’t have pumpkin powder, you can use yellow food gel coloring if you like the marble effect.
– When kneading the snowskin mooncake, it will be slightly sticky after a while due to the warmth of our hands. You can wear a pair of gloves, so that it’s easier for you to knead.
– When wrapping and molding the mooncakes, do dust your hands and the mooncake mold well with the extra kao fen, to prevent sticking.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Chinese