Note: This post may contain affiliate links – I may earn a small commission if you purchase through the links, at no extra cost to you. I only recommend products and brands that I trust and/or use. Thanks for your help in supporting my blog!
Don’t you love how plump-looking and evenly browned this loaf of wholemeal honey bread is?! Well, I sure did! 🙂
I love wholemeal and/or honey bread! These days, I am trying to eat healthier by incorporating more wholegrains in my family’s diet, so I try to add wholemeal flour into my bakes, whenever possible.
You don’t see visible grains from the wholemeal flour here, because I am using Prima’s superfine wholegrain flour. I like the fine grains so that we can incorporate some wholemeal into the baked items, without compromising on the texture too much.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
>> MORE BREAD RECIPES:
What If I Don’t Have Wholemeal Flour?
This is a loaf of soft wholemeal bread that pairs well with jams and spreads, as well as savory fillings.
I understand that many of us seldom bake, and wholemeal flour do not keep as well as the usual flour. If you do not have any wholemeal flour on hand, you can also substitute the wholegrain flour with just bread flour or plain flour.
Is There A Strong Honey Taste?
As with using most jams or syrup, there will be a very subtle taste of these flavors after baking. You’ll find a very subtle sweet honey scent in this bread. I also brushed on a thin layer of milk before sprinkling on the oats. The oats will stick to the surface better this way. Alternatively, if you prefer a glossy top, you may do some egg wash.
This step is totally optional, but I do like how it looks like after baking!
Is It Difficult to Shape Loaf Bread?
If you are new to shaping loaf bread, it is quite easy! You’ll just need to ensure that you proof the dough well – it usually takes about 45-60 mins in normal room temperature in our Singapore weather. The dough will rise to approximately double of its size, and has a smooth texture to it.
After the first proof, you can shape it. While shaping, just ensure that you roll the dough up nicely and relatively “tightly”. There should not be big empty space in between the dough.
Soft Wholemeal Honey Loaf Bread
- 200 g bread flour
- 50 g Prima superfine wholegrain flour
- 10 g milk powder
- 40 g honey
- 110 g milk chilled
- 1 egg chilled
- 25 g butter chilled
- 3 g yeast
- 3 g salt
- Place all ingredients into the bread pan. I am using Panasonic SD-P104, Menu 9. It includes kneading and 1st proof. If you are using mixer, knead accordingly to window pane stage and proof.
- After first proof is done, remove dough. Rest for 10 mins. Divide dough into 3. Punch out air from dough, roll the dough out and swiss roll it up. Repeat for remaining 2 dough.
- Place all dough into greased or lined loaf pan. Proof again for about 45-60 mins.
- After 2nd proofing, brush the top surface of dough with some milk. Sprinkle oats on the top. Tap lightly on the oats to adhere to the dough.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C, centre rack, for about 25-30 mins.
- Remove bread from pan. Cool completely on wire rack before storing in air tight container. Slice only on day of eating.