Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Quick and easy chicken and potato stew, which is the comfort food for many Asian families.
Great recipe for kiddos as it’s an easy dish, as well as an all-time favourite!
Yummy and easy chicken and potato stew!
I guess this dish needs no introduction because it is like a staple recipe for many busy mothers. This dish is also a comfort food for me from my childhood memories.
Whenever I am busy, or when I have no idea what to cook for my kids, I’ll cook this! Thankfully,the kiddos also super love the taste of this one-pot dish.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
For a healthier version, I like to use chicken breast – just slice the chicken breast at a slanted angle, so that they won’t turn too tough after cooking. But of course, if you prefer a really tender bite to the meat, I’d suggest using deboned chicken thigh or chicken fillets.
>> MORE MEAL IDEAS:
This dish is also easy to adjust to your preference, in terms of seasoning, as well as if you prefer more or less gravy. I usually go more light-handed in seasoning, with slightly more gravy as my kids love it!
Quick and easy chicken and potato stew, which is the comfort food for many Asian families. Great recipe for the kiddos as it’s an all-time favourite for them!
- 2 cloves garlic, (minced)
- 250 g chicken breast or deboned chicken thigh, (cut into bite size)
- 1 medium potato, (peeled and cubed)
- 1 medium carrot, (peeled and cut into bite sized chunks)
- 3 tbsp frozen green peas, (thawed)
- 3/4 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Dash of white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 & 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce, (optional)
- Dash of white pepper
- 20–45 ml hot water
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 6 tsp water
- If you are using chicken thigh, trim off the skin and extra fats. Marinate the cut chicken breast or thigh. Set aside for about 20-30 mins. You can take this time to prepare other ingredients.
- Heat up your frying pan with some oil. Saute garlic till fragrant. Add in the marinated chicken and stir.
- When the chicken pieces are no longer pink on the outside, add in cut potato and carrot. Give it a few quick stir and add in the seasoning. Pour in hot water that is sufficient to cover at least 1/2 the height of the ingredients in the pan.
- When the ingredients come to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the potato and carrot is soft enough. Add in the thawed green peas just before the stew is done cooking.
- Mix cornflour and water together into a slurry. Add 3/4 amount into the pan. Stir constantly and you will see that the mixture thicken to a thick gravy after a few mins. If not thickened to your preference, add in remaining cornflour slurry and continue stirring till thickened.
- Off heat. Taste and add soy sauce if required. Serve warm with a bowl of warm rice.
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Cuisine: Chinese