This soup is a type of Chinese soup, simmered with pork ribs and sweet carrots 🙂
Chayote is also known as 佛手瓜 / 合掌瓜 in Chinese, which can be widely found in wet markets and supermarkets locally.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
Chayote is a type of pear-shaped fruit, with slightly wrinkled skin. To prepare it for the soup, simply peel off the skin, slice lengthwise and remove the seeds. Do be careful when you peel the chayote, as it will become sticky and slightly slippery. Sliced chayote is great for stir fry with bean vermicelli as well!
I got to know of chayote a couple of years ago, and I was really glad to have tried cooking chayote in soups because it’s so sweet naturally that my toddler loves the soups!
>> MORE CHINESE SOUP RECIPES:
For this soup, I also love to add in honey date 蜜枣. For a Cantonese style boiled soup, you can boil the soup longer, for around 3 hours. Otherwise, 2 hours should be enough.
Chayote Pork Ribs Soup 合掌瓜排骨汤
- 1 pack of spare ribs
- 2 chayote
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 2 red dates pitted and rinsed
- 1 honey date rinsed
- 1.5 L-2L water
- Blanch pork ribs in a small pot of boiling water for about 5 mins.
- Remove pork ribs from pot and rinse off scum.
- Peel the chayote and carrots. Cut the carrots into small chunks.
- Bring the 1.5L of water to boil in another medium sized soup pot.
- Once water is boiling, add in all ingredients.
- Bring to a rolling boil for about 20mins, before turning lower heat to simmer for 2-3 hours.
- Serve warm.
QUESTIONS/FEEDBACK ABOUT THE RECIPE? FEEL FREE TO DROP YOUR COMMENT BELOW. CHECK OUT MY RECIPE INDEX FOR MORE RECIPES!