Barley drink is something I grew up with on this sunny island, and it was one of the first few recipes I learnt in my Home Econs class!
I later on also grew to love those packet lemon barley drink – however which, somehow, I just cannot replicate the taste lol! Well, it’s not unexpected right. Since it is mostly flavorings in these packet drinks!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
Over here locally, most of us believe that barley water can help in “cooling” the body. We usually will give barley water to the kids when they have fever or stomach flu, or when the weather is really hot.
Adding on to the flavors of Southeast Asia, we cannot omit pandan leaves while boiling the barley water!
>> OTHER DELIGHTFUL ASIAN DESSERTS:
I also like to include lemon sometimes, since it seems quite “flu friendly” while boosting the Vit C. It was quite timely since the kiddos were down with the flu bug.
The other time I tried sneaking in some freshly squeezed lemon juice into the barley water, but got rejected by both the toddler and the husband (oh well!). So for this time I just decided to infuse some lemon slices in the warm barley water and was well received by the husband!
A popular drink in the Southeast Asia, where we usually drink this warm or chilled during hot weathers!
- 2 L water
- 150 g pearl barley (rinsed)
- 3–4 pandan leaves (washed and knotted)
- Lemon slices
- Rock sugar and honey to taste
- Place water and barley in a pot and bring it to a boil. Add pandan leaves after it is boiling.
- Simmer for about 30-45 mins, where you will see the water turning milky. Discard pandan leaves and add in rock sugar. Stir to dissolve.
- Off heat and leave to cool slightly. Add in lemon slices. Serve warm, or chilled. Spoon in honey before drinking.
Be sure to scrub the lemon well before adding to any beverage or water. Place lemons in a heat withstanding bowl, add in hot water. Let the lemon soak for a little while (like 1 min or so), and brush using a vegetable brush. Rinse and use 🙂
You can also boil this beverage in a thermal pot.
- Category: Drinks
- Cuisine: Chinese
Hope you’d enjoy this, and take care in the hot weather!