This coconut passion fruit sponge cake was tweaked from one of my favourite sponge cake recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover.
It is a soft and moist chiffon sponge cake, which is well loved by my family members. I often turn to this recipe when I run out of ideas to serve tea break or breakfast during weekends.
Since I have some passion fruit sitting in the fridge, I decided to try out coconut and passion fruit. This combination of flavors has left me wondering for the longest time, how would it taste like.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
It’s quite a unique flavour together. If you love the scent of coconut, you can try this out! Otherwise, you can simply just use rice bran or other unflavored oils that you have.
Also, if you are wondering about the use of flour, you can use plain/cake/top flour for this recipe. I find that it doesn’t really affect the texture. Cake or top flour will produce and softer and finer crumb cake. But don’t worry if you run out of cake flour, you can always sub it with plain flour.
This recipe uses the usual chiffon cake method. It just uses a gradual rise in temperature, to reduce the possibility of the cake cracking in the oven. Most chiffon cakes would have their signature cracks while baking in the oven. If you’d like to serve a smooth top sponge cake, do watch your oven.
>> MORE DELICIOUS CAKE RECIPES:
You can also tweak the temperature after your first try, if the cake does crack, by lowering 10C at any one time.
If you are not a fan of passion fruit, feel free to increase the amount of vanilla extract, and swap the passion fruit juice with milk.
Coconut Passion Fruit Sponge Cake 椰油百香果戚风海绵蛋糕
- 5 egg yolks
- 25 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 85 g passion fruit juice
- 65 g coconut oil
- 135 g top flour
- 5 egg whites
- 90 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp white vinegar or lemon juice
- Prepare one 8 inch round cake pan, with removable bottom. If your pan does not have a removeable bottom, line the bottom with a round cut-out baking paper.
- Place the egg yolks into a mixing bowl. Add in sugar and whisk till light.
- Add in the vanilla extract and coconut oil. Mix well. Add in the passion fruit juice. Whisk well to combine.
- Sift in flour in 3 batches and whisk well after each addition.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, whisk the egg white and white vinegar till foamy (like bubble bath). Add in sugar in 3 batches and gradually increase speed to high. Whisk till meringue is at firm peaks, nearly to stiff.
- Add 1/3 of the meringue into egg yolk mixture. Using the whisk, mix in a cutting motion, while turning the bowl. Mix till well combined.
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue using a spatula till combined. Fold in remaining meringue in the same way. Ensure that when you "scoop" up the batter at the bottom of the bowl, and there is no darker colored batter. Otherwise, you will experience kueh-like cake when it's baked.
- Preheat oven to 140C. Pour batter into cake pan. Tap on counter a few times. Bake in the preheated oven, on low rack, at 140C for 25 mins. Then increase to 150C for 20 mins, and then finish off 160C for 20-25 mins.
- Once baked, turn the cake pan upside down while cooling. Cool completely before removing. (If you lined the bottom of your cake pan, remove cake after 15mins)