Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Mushipan is a type of Japanese steamed cake, made with a few simple ingredients that we can find in our pantry.
If you are always too busy to prepare breakfast, this is quite a good choice. Compared to muffins, this requires lesser and simpler ingredients as well! So it’s also great for beginners!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
I like to serve this for breakfast or snack for the little one, as this can be whipped up easily and appeals to the palate of the toddler! This recipe yields fluffy and soft steamed cupcakes, that even my husband likes them too!
If you have read some of my previous recipe sharing, you would have known that I really like steamed cupcakes, eg. this basic mushipan (which is a little dense), honey red bean steamed cupcakes (which is very similar to this mushipan recipe) and Nutella blossoms.
So far, I think my favourites remain as the honey cupcakes and this mushipan recipe. You can also make plain ones with chocolate chips if you don’t want marbled ones. It’s very versatile!
>> MORE MUFFIN RECIPES:
Simple chocolate marble mushipan that can be made in a jiffy. Delicious and great for kids!
- 60 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of cocoa powder
- Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder) in a mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- Whisk the egg, milk, sugar and oil in another bowl.
- Make a well in the flour mixture from Step (1). Pour in the mixture from Step (2), and mix well till combined. Remove 1 tsp of batter and place in a small bowl or cup. Add in the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Fill a steamer or deep frying pan (and steamer rack) with water. Bring it to boil.
- In the meantime, fill cupcake cups with batter, to about 3/4 full. Place the chocolate batter on top in random spots. Swirl the batter using a toothpick. Once the water has boiled, place the cupcake cups in the steamer rack. Cover and steamed on low heat for about 8-9 mins.
- The steamed cakes are done when a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Off the heat and remove cupcake cups onto cooling rack. Serve the steamed cupcakes warm or at room temperature.
Original recipe from Just One Cookbook.
- Category: Breakfast, Cakes, Snack