Soft and fluffy bread buns which look just too cute to be eaten!
- 130 g bread flour
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 80 g water
- 10 g butter
- Charcoal powder
- Place ingredients into bread machine pan and knead till a dough. Proof for about 1 hour. I am using Panasonic SD-P104, menu mode 9 (includes proofing of the dough inside).
- Remove dough from bread machine. You can also leave the dough in the machine for further 10-15 min, after bread cycle ends. Dust the working surface and your hands with some flour if the dough is sticky. Remove 24g of dough and set aside.
- Punch out air from the bigger main dough. Shape into round balls. Cover with cling wrap or damp cloth. Leave to rest for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, add in some charcoal powder into the smaller sized (24g) dough. You can add more if you want the dough to be black; lesser if you prefer greyish. Knead well and set aside covered.
- Divide main dough into 6 portions. Shape each portion into round balls of dough and place onto lined baking tray.
- For the grey dough, divide into 2 portions – 1 portion slightly bigger. Take the bigger dough, cut and shape into 12 triangles for ears. Set aside to proof on its own.
- Take the other portion of the grey dough and divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion out flatly. Place onto the prepared main dough, on the baking tray, where the ears should be at.
- Cover with cling wrap and allow all dough to proof for 2nd time, about 45 mins – 1 hour.
- 15 mins before the 2nd proof is completed, place the triangle dough onto the main balls of dough, as ears. Brush some water to help stick the dough in place if it is too dry. Preheat oven to 180C.
- To make charcoal drawing mixture, add in very tiny drops of water into some charcoal powder. Mix well. Use the bigger end of a toothpick, dab into the charcoal drawing mixture, draw the smiling eyes. Changing to the sharper end of the toothpick, dab into the charcoal powder mixture and draw further details like the nose, whiskers and lashes.
- After the oven is preheated, turn down oven temperature to 140C. Bake on 2nd last rack, for about 20-25 mins. Check the buns after 15 mins of baking, if they are turning slightly brownish, you can move them to the bottom rack to continue baking.
- Cool completely on wire rack before storing in air tight container.
Recipe adapted from: Kokoma
- Category: Bread, Breakfast