Do you remember this Killer Toast recipe, which became quite famous last year, started by Victoria Bakes?
I really love this easy and soft loaf of bread!
The recipe is quite convenient for me, as a busy mom. I usually would just leave it to the bread machine to knead the dough. After which, I’ll just take it out to punch out air and shape it, then leave in the bread pan to proof. Once done, just bake it in the oven.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
What’s more interesting is that this loaf of bread yields a soft loaf, despite the easy method!
So if you’re a busy mum, or just want to try a no-hassle bread, try this out!
>> MORE BREAD RECIPES:
The bread is brownish as I’ve used quite a bit of wholemeal flour, as well as demerara sugar. If you are using just bread flour and white sugar, the loaf would be whiter.
Pandan Killer Toast
- 240 g bread flour + 10g plain / top flour (or 260g bread flour)
- 10 g milk powder (for baking use)
- 3 g instant yeast
- 160 g egg + pandan water*
- 30 g sugar
- 2 g salt
- 30 g butter
- 110 g cold water
- 12 g pandan leaves, cut
- Prepare the pandan water by blitzing the water and pandan leaves in a food processor. Strain the mixture to extract the pandan water.
- Place an XL or L egg in a bowl, on a weighing scale. Top up the pandan water till 160g. If there is not enough pandan water, simply add a little more water.
- Place all ingredients (except butter) together in your mixing bowl, or bread machine inner pan. Knead the dough together for about 3-4 mins. As the dough comes together, add in the butter and knead till window pane stage.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions. Roll each dough out flat, swiss roll it up along the longer edge (so you'd get a longish bread dough). Place dough into greased or lined bread loaf pan. Repeat for the other dough.
- Cover loaf pan with a pc of damp cloth or cling wrap. Let dough proof to 90% of pan's height. It may take a little while longer than usual proofing time. It took about 1+h for mine. You can try placing it near hotspots in your kitchen for better proofing.
- When the dough is nearing 90% of the bread pan, preheat oven to 175C. Bake in the preheated oven, on 2nd lowest rack for 30-37 mins. While the bread is baking for about 15 mins, you can check if the top of the bread is getting too brown. You can tent the top with a pc of aluminum foil or baking paper.
- Once bread is nicely browned and baked, cool completely on wire rack before storing in air tight container.
I have also made this same recipe using just white bread flour, which is much whiter. I also replaced the butter with coconut oil, and I love the subtle coconut scent!