These cute bunny macarons have a crispy shell with chewy interior, filled with less sweet berry mascarpone filling. Try out this decadent French dessert with some simple steps below!
- 40 g ground almond
- 40 g icing sugar
- 35 g egg white
- 35 g caster sugar
- Pink food coloring gel, Black edible pen
Berry Mascarpone Filling:
- 20g mascarpone cream
- 1 & 1/2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1/4 tsp strawberry powder
- Sift ground almond and icing sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Mix them together.
- Beat the egg white on medium speed till frothy. Add in sugar in 3 batches. Beat on high speed till stiff peak.
- Add meringue into ground almond mixture in 2 batches. Fold in till roughly incorporated, then add in the 2nd batch of meringue.
- Fold and press out air till mixture is lava-like, falling from raised spatula like fluid, ribbon stage, leaving a Y shape on the raised spatula.
- Remove about 1/2 tsp of macaron mixture to tint pink.
- Pipe out the mixture onto baking paper, doing circles first. Bang baking tray on counter top for about 10-15 times. Using a toothpick, gently poke the air bubbles that surface. Pipe the ears for 7 of the macaron shells. Leave to dry for about 5 mins before piping the pink portion for ears and nose. Let shells dry for 20-45 mins, or until matte and dry.
- Preheat oven to 150C, bake for 17-19 mins. I am baking on 2nd lower rack. If your oven’s bottom heat is not too hot, you can place on lowest rack.
- After baking for 5 mins, place a baking tray on the top rack and continue baking. This can help prevent browning of the macaron shells.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before peeling the macaron shells off the baking paper. Decorate as needed. Fill with your favourite filling or the mascarpone filling below.
Berry Mascarpone filling:
- Place mascarpone cheese and jam in a mixing bowl. Mix well with a spatula.
- Place the mixture into the fridge to chill for about 10 mins.
- Remove from fridge and whisk them together.
- Pipe onto shells and sandwich together.
The macaron recipe makes a small batch of macarons (7 pcs of 1.5″ macarons). Please click on 2x or 3x on the recipe card if you prefer a larger batch.
I am using Americolor Soft Pink and #10 Wilton Tip. You can also just pipe out white bunny macaron shells, draw the pink ears and nose after baking (with pink edible pen).
For decoration, I am using edible pen for black; pink lustre dust. These can be bought from baking supplies stores.
Please test your oven temperature on your own. It will be good if you have an oven thermometer to keep track of the temperature inside.
I am using strawberry jam for the filling. It gives a dull pink color, which is why I added the strawberry powder, for more flavor and color. Otherwise you can try the raspberry jam, which should give a brighter pink color. The mascarpone filling is quite soft. If you need to transport the macarons, do not stack them together in case the shells may slide off.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: French Macaron