A basic steamed cupcake recipe that uses whipping of whole eggs.
- 1 egg
- 90 g cake or top flour*
- 70 g sugar*
- 50 ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Nutella, kaya, jam, etc
- 1/4 tsp charcoal powder (optional)
- Place egg and sugar in your mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for a few mins before switching to high speed to beat the egg mixture till light and fluffy. I beat until ribbon stage 🙂
- Add in milk and mix well. Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix lightly till well combined. You can do so in 2 or 3 batches. If you would like to draw on the nutella blossom like I did, reserve 3/4 tsp of batter in a small bowl. Add in charcoal powder and mix well. Place into piping bag, snip off a small opening for piping.
- Spoon or pipe into cupcake cases half way, add in a dollop of filling, before covering with some more cake batter, till 80% full. Pipe pattern on the top of cake batter if you wish.
- Steam over medium low heat (or medium heat if your steamer is big) for about 7-9 mins.
- Remove from steamer once done and leave to cool.
I am using Prima’s unbleached top flour. Most top/cake flour is bleached, and not so good for health in the long run, so do check the ingredient list or packaging. I am also using Bob Red Mill’s aluminum free baking powder.
You can reduce sugar to 60g if you want it to be less sweet. I used only 50g of sugar so as to reduce sugar intake for my child 🙂
Recipe adapted from RAZZ
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack