Recently I fell in love with anything-steamed haha! Steaming seems easier than baking – especially food like steamed buns and cakes.
Nutella blossoms are small steamed cupcakes with Nutella filling inside. They also usually use ovalette or condensed milk to stabilise the batter while baking. I have omitted the use of these 2 items, for healthier baking, and the steamed Nutella blossoms seemed ok!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
I have chosen to pipe on Hello Kitty and Cinnamon Roll on the cupcakes! Do take note to concentrate the drawings more towards the centre of the cupcake liner, as the cupcakes will expand after steaming.
If you are also using paper liners like me, place the liners into silicone cups or mini muffin tray for support.
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES:
Nutella Blossoms 彩绘蒸鸡蛋糕
- 1 egg
- 90 g cake or top flour*
- 70 g sugar*
- 50 ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Nutella, kaya, jam, etc
- 1/4 tsp charcoal powder optional
- Place egg and sugar in your mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed for a few mins before switching to high speed to beat the egg mixture till light and fluffy. I beat until ribbon stage 🙂
- Add in milk and mix well. Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture and mix lightly till well combined. You can do so in 2 or 3 batches. If you would like to draw on the nutella blossom like I did, reserve 3/4 tsp of batter in a small bowl. Add in charcoal powder and mix well. Place into piping bag, snip off a small opening for piping.
- Spoon or pipe into cupcake cases half way, add in a dollop of filling, before covering with some more cake batter, till 80% full. Pipe pattern on the top of cake batter if you wish.
- Steam over medium low heat (or medium heat if your steamer is big) for about 7-9 mins.
- Remove from steamer once done and leave to cool.