Mantou (馒头) is a type of steamed bun, which can be considered as one of the main carbs in Chinese food.
It’s a little different from pau (包子). Mantou is usually denser in texture and do not have any filling; pau is usually fluffier and has various type of sweet/savory fillings.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
I love preparing steamed buns because the preparation work is shorter than making bread. And my daughter simply love steamed buns!
The toddler was having a bad cough (again) the week before, so she was home to prevent herself from getting another infection while recovering. My MIL very kindly came to help “jaga” the girls, and she noticed that the toddler, oddly, only eats the dough part of the steamed pau I gave her for breakfast.
>> MORE TODDLER RECIPES:
So I decided to make some steamed mantou for her breakfast the next day, since it was also quite a while since I last made mantou.
This recipe is a quick one, so it’s good for me!
Steamed Milk Mantou 牛奶馒头
- 300 g Hong Kong flour or low protein flour*
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 30 g sugar
- 180 g milk
- 10 g corn oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients into bread machine. Make sure you "dig" 2 holes at opposite corners to place yeast and salt in. I am using Panasonic SD-P104, Menu 11 (Dumpling Skin mode). It will take about 15 mins to finish kneading. If you are using mixer, simply mix all ingredients well into an elastic dough.
- Shape dough into ball and rest for 5-10 mins.
- Roll out the dough into rectangular sheet, brush with water, and swiss roll the dough up.
- Divide the dough into portions and place onto baking paper (cut into small squares).
- In your steamer, pour in warm water (around 40C). Place dough onto steaming rack, proof for 20-30 mins.
- Once proofing is completed, turn on the heat. Steam using medium heat for about 15 mins. I usually steam with a chopstick lifting the lid. This is to minimise wrinkles on the steamed buns after steaming.
- Once done, off the heat, wait for a couple of minutes before lifting the lid.