Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Nutella is one of our favourite bread spread! I am sure it’s the same for most of you too!
However Nutella might not be the “healthiest” spread to have. Some of their ingredients include palm oil, emulsifier and not to mention a high content of sugar.
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
I had been wanting to make this for the longest time ever, but always procrastinated because I needed to blend the hazelnuts.
While searching for pure nut paste, I found one pure hazelnut paste from Baking Blocks, which is also great to use as spread or add to coffee! Lightbulb moment when I realised I could use the hazelnut paste to make our favourite Nutella spread!
>> MORE DECADENT CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
Creamy, chocolatey homemade hazelnut spread. A healthier version without weird ingredients!
- 8 tbsp hazelnut paste or 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 170 g milk chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or any non-flavored oil
- 1.5 tbsp icing sugar
- 1.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- If you are using raw hazelnuts, preheat your oven to 175C. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on lined baking tray. Toast in the oven for about 12 mins or until they have browned a little. Wrap them in a clean kitchen towel and rub vigourously to remove the loose skin. Let cool completely.
- Melt chocolate over bain marie (double boiler). Stir until smooth and let cool completely.
- Grind the hazelnuts in a food processor until a paste is formed.
- If you are using the hazelnut paste, skip step (3). Add in oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt into the hazelnut paste. Stir (or use the food processor) until smooth. Add melted chocolate, stir well.
- The nutella paste might look a little runny, but it will thicken up as it cools. Empty nutella paste into clean jar(s) and let it cool to room temperature. You can keep in the fridge, but you would need to let it stand to room temperature as the nutella paste will firm up in the fridge.
Recipe adapted from Splendid Table.
You can separate the hazelnut spread into mini bottles and keep separately. It is best to store into the fridge in humid weather. Thaw the spread on counter top 10-15 mins prior to using.
- Category: Breakfast, Snack