A unique nutty flavored chiffon cake from the black glutinous rice flour. The unique flavor is further developed with the thick coconut milk and coconut oil used in the recipe. A truly South-East Asian treat!
- 6 egg yolks
- 90 ml coconut milk
- 30 ml coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 40 g Prima superfine wholegrain flour ((Original recipe uses cake flour))
- 70 g black glutinous rice flour
- 6 egg whites
- 55 g coconut sugar ((Original recipe uses 85g caster sugar))
- In a large mixing bowl, add in egg yolks, coconut milk and oil. Whisk well.
- Sift in flour, black glutinous rice flour and salt into the egg yolk batter. Mix well and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites till frothy like bubble bath. Gradually add in sugar in 3 batches. Beat on medium high speed until nearly stiff peaks (peak should be slightly slanting with a firm hook. When you overturn the mixing bowl, the meringue will not fall out of the bowl).
- Take 1/3 of the egg white meringue, mix into the egg yolk batter using your whisk, in a gentle cutting motion, while rotating the bowl.
- Fold in another 1/3 of the meringue using a spatula gently while rotating the bowl. Continue to fold in remaining meringue.
- Pour the batter into 8″ chiffon tube pan from a little height. Shake the pan gently against your counter top to smooth out the top of the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven 160C for about 60-70 mins. If you are not sure if it’s well baked, you can bake longer (around 70 mins) as chiffon cakes are better baked longer than underbaked.
- Remove pan from oven once baked. Invert to cool completely before removing the cake from the pan.
Recipe adapted from Mimi Bakery House. This makes an 8″ cake.
I am using coconut sugar because of my gestational diabetes. Coconut sugar has lower GI, which can be used interchangeably with caster/brown sugar.
I have also reduced the sugar drastically, so the cake tastes just nicely sweetened. For more well-received taste, you can use 80-85g sugar.
Temperature depends on oven. My oven tends to be a little too hot, so I usually adjust 10C lesser than on recipe, so I have baked this chiffon cake at 150C for 70 mins. Please adjust the temperature according to your oven 🙂
- Category: Cakes, Dessert, Snack