Living in an Asian country, snowskin mooncakes are our absolute favourites when it is mid-autumn festival!
Snowskin mooncakes are a type of non-baked mooncakes, made with fried glutinous rice flour, wrapped with sweet bean filling. Since it is usually stored in the refrigerator, and eaten chilled, it doesn’t feel as rich and heavy as the traditional mooncakes.
For this Baymax snowskin mooncake, I used passion fruit lotus paste which tastes really good when chilled! I like that the snowskin recipe uses coconut oil, so I think it’s definitely “healthier” than shortening!
若想阅读中文版本，请在网页的右边 “Google Translate” 点击选择 中文简体 (Chinese Simplified）或 繁体 (Chinese Traditional) 翻译。可能食谱读起来会怪怪的，所以如果有疑问都可以问哦！
Do note that fried glutinous rice flour is different from the usual glutinous rice flour we see in supermarkets.
If you are using the usual glutinous rice flour, you will need to dry fry the flour over stove until light.
>> MORE MOONCAKE RECIPES:
I really love how these mini snowskin mooncakes turned out, and I really find it better, than to eat mooncakes made with shortening!
Oh yes my toddler loves them too!
Baymax Deco Snowskin Mooncakes 大白造型冰皮月饼
- 26 g fried glutinous rice flour (kou fen 糕粉)
- 30 g icing sugar
- 35 g boiled pandan water, cooled completely
- 7 g coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp charcoal powder
- Lotus paste, or paste of your choice
- Place kou fen and icing sugar into mixing bowl. Stir to mix well. Make a well in the centre of the bowl.
- Combine the cooled water and oil in another small bowl. Add into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix them well in the same direction. You will need to do this rather quickly for smooth skin.
- After the ingredients have combined, you can continue to mix/knead for 20-30 seconds more to form into a ball.
- Portion your paste filling accordingly and roll into balls. I am using about 20g of filling for each mooncake. Set aside.
- Take a small portion of the snowskin and mix with 1/2 tsp of charcoal powder. The dough would be slightly sticky, so you can use extra kou fen to lightly pat around the dough if it gets too sticky.
- Portion the white snowskin dough into balls. I am using about 16g. Roll the dough out using rolling pin. Dust the dough if it gets sticky.
- Wrap the filling in the dough and seal. Roll the mooncake around your palms gently to a round shape. Do this for all of the white snowskin dough.
- For facial details of Baymax, simply roll out a thin sausage and place in the center of the face. Followed by 2 small round flattened dough for the eyes.
- Store the mooncakes in air tight container in the refrigerator. Chill for a couple of hours before serving. It should keep well in air tight container for about 3 days.