Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
A few weeks back, I bought an Unopan chiffon pan from TaoBao. I was quite excited to use it because it looked much better than the traditional chiffon pans (hehe). However, I was not able to bake nice chiffon cakes with it – I was wondering if it was the pan problem, recipe problem, or user problem lol..
So I tried another recipe which uses more flour than the usual recipes I have tried. This resulted in a firmer textured chiffon cake. I didn’t really like the texture, I like the softer ones better. However my hubby sort of preferred this 🙂
I’ve omitted orange zest here, so the cake doesn’t carry a strong orange scent. I have not used zest in my bakes because I was concerned over the wax on the skins of these fruits. Please share with me if you have any effective method of removing them!
Orange Chiffon Cake – Recipe from Maple Grace Garden
(Makes 6 inch chiffon cake)
– 3 egg yolks
– 100g cake flour *I’ve used plain flour
– 45ml oil
– 90ml orange juice
– 1 tbsp orange zest *I omitted
– 25g caster sugar
– 3 egg whites
– 30g caster sugar
1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together egg yolks and 25g caster sugar till dissolved and slightly paler in color.
2. Add in orange juice, whisk. Add in oil, whisk.
3. Sift flour into the mixture in 3 batches. Whisk till incorporated for each addition of flour. The batter would be quite heavy. Set aside
4. Using electric mixer, whisk egg white on medium-low speed till frothy (like bubble bath). Add sugar in 3 batches. Slowly increase the speed till high. Whisk to stiff peaks. The meringue should still look glossy, with a slight hook.
5. Take 1/3 of meringue, mix into egg yolk mixture. Use a cutting motion, mix the meringue using your whisk, turning the bowl as you mix.
6. Lightly fold in the remaining 2/3 of meringue in 2 batches, using a spatula. I usually “cut” the mixture in the centre of the bowl, with the spatula, and turn the bowl as you fold.
7. Pour mixture into chiffon tube pan. Bake in preheated oven 170C for 30-40 mins. (I baked on 2nd lowest rack).
8. Invert the pan immediately once out of oven, till cooled completely. Remove from pan once cooled.