Orange marmalade filling sandwiched between 2 layers of buttery shortbread crust. These little bars are…
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
These one-bowl soft, spongy lemon madeleines are easy to make. Full of citrus flavor with olive oil, lemon juice and zest. Great for a light afternoon tea!
What Ingredients Do I Need For These Lemon Olive Oil Madeleines?
You will need a few basic pantry items:
- Eggs: Use medium or large sized eggs (55 – 60g each).
- Caster Sugar: For a healthier version, you might want to use unrefined sugar such as demerara sugar.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: You can also use a lemon flavor olive oil for a more citrusy punch.
- Lemon Juice & Zest: Use a microplane to zest the lemon. Avoid the white pith as it will be bitter. A large lemon should yield about 45-55g of juice. If you have only 45g, you may add 5g water to the juice, instead of juicing another lemon.
- Vanilla Extract: As these madeleines do not have melted butter for flavor, use a good quality vanilla extract.
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
How Do These Madeleines Taste?
These madeleines are lighter in taste because the recipe uses olive oil, instead of melted butter.
You might also want to leave the madeleines overnight before serving, as I find the taste is better after 1 day!
>> MORE TEA BREAK TREAT RECIPES:
- Baileys Red Velvet Brownie
- Vanilla Madeleines
- Easy Choc Chip Scones (Eggless)
- Orange Marmalade Crumble Bar
- Soft Cranberry Biscuits