Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Here are the cupcakes I made for my baby’s birthday!
I was quite surprised by how moist and chocolatey this turned out! It’s also very easy to make – no mixer required!
I didn’t use buttermilk as specified in the recipe, because I didn’t have any buttermilk, and realised I ran out of lemons! But still, I am happy with the cupcakes.
I paired these cupcakes with my favourite Swiss Meringue Buttercream to withstand the humid temperature. Perhaps one of these days I’ll try the American Buttercream – when I am having a super sweet tooth ;P
Classic Chocolate Cupcakes (Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction)
– 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
– 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 2 large eggs, at room temperature
– 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
– 1/2 cup (100g) light brown sugar
– 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk*
1. In a large bowl, whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
3. Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently stir – about 5 stirs.
4.Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until just combined; do not overmix. The batter won’t be very thick. Pour/spoon the batter into the liners – fill only halfway to avoid spilling over the sides.
5. Bake in batches for 18-19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting. Mini cupcakes will take about 10 minutes, same oven temperature.
* If you do not have buttermilk, make your own by mixing 2 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice with 1/2 cup milk. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
or Instagram @efatrie 🙂