Made a pie last weekend for the SCS Baker Challenge. I am really happy to get into the 4-Star challenge, but when I heard it’s a voting contest, I wasn’t sure if I want to continue to take part.
Don’t get me wrong! It’s probably because I don’t really like to ask for votes, and I feel quite paiseh to get people to vote for me. Haha! 🙂
Nevertheless, I am really thankful for all the votes in the Best Cooking Blog so far! I hope you have enjoyed reading and making the loaves and buns 🙂
Anyway, back to the pie!
If not for Bakein Delight‘s and hubby’s encouragement, I probably would just give up. Especially when I felt really drained out of energy with my work, coupled with churning out posts for the Best Cooking Blog, and several other posts.
Thankfully as I was making the pie, I felt quite energetic and excited haha!
I quite like that the pie isn’t too sweet at all. The buttery crust goes really well with the blueberry filling. Do sprinkle the sugar on top of the crust generously!
Lemon Blueberry Pie
– 2.5 cups flour
– 1 tbsp sugar
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup butter, diced
– 5 to 6 tbsp of iced water
– 1 egg, beaten for egg wash (I replaced with milk cos I didn’t want to waste the egg lol)
– Coarse sugar to sprinkle on top
– 255g blueberries
– 2 tsp cornstarch
– 1/8 cup sugar
– 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Combine flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter till mixture resembles bread crumbs. (avoid contact with our hands, it will melt the butter. You can use a pastry blender. I used a fork and spatula)
2. Add water by the tablespoon, stirring with a fork after each addition. Do not add too much water or let the dough become too wet. Form dough into 2 discs. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
3. Prepare the filling. Toss ingredients together.
4. Roll out the pastry dough. Line the pie pan with pie crust.
5. Pour the blueberry mixture into pan.
6. Roll out remaining pastry dough. Cut out the dough using cookie cutter. Place on top of the blueberries.
7. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar generously.
8. Bake at 190C for about 25-30 mins, until blueberries are bubbling or crust is golden brown.
9. Let cool on wire rack.
If you would like to vote for me, click “Like” on this photo here 🙂