Prior to having my first kid, I hardly go grocery shopping, since I was not very domesticated actually lol!
So there are some fruits/vegetables that I have to search really hard for these days – for example the orange fleshed sweet potato and purple fleshed dragonfruit. Not sure why, but it’s quite difficult to find them at the wet market.
I was so elated when I managed to find both at the Sheng Shiong near my place one day (sounds like so auntie lol)!
So quickly buy la :p
I had been searching for this dragonfruit because I wanted to bake “pink” bread or cakes for my toddler. Well, she’s in love with anything PINK these days hahaha! Since strawberry + beetroot cake failed the other time, I was happy to try out the dragonfruit.
You would notice that my bread rolls are of a dull pink tone, and that’s because I’ve used some wholegrain flour and coconut sugar. If you use entirely bread flour and caster sugar, the bread rolls should be of hot pink tone 🙂
These bread rolls are also the very popular “micro-wavy” buns (微波面包) a few years back. It’s really soft and quite addictive to eat :p
Dragonfruit Bread Rolls 龙珠果微波面包 – Recipe Adapted from MyMeLoves
(Makes about 12 bread rolls)
Starter Dough 中种面团
– 200g bread flour
– 4g yeast
– 16g milk powder
– 25g beaten egg
– 50g purple fleshed dragonfruit, cut into small cubes
– 90g milk
Main Dough 主面团
– 37g bread flour + 30g Prima superfine wholegrain flour
(or just 67g bread flour)
– 40g sugar *I am using coconut sugar here
– 4g salt
– 35g milk
– 30g butter
1. Place all ingredients for starter dough into bread pan of bread machine. Knead all ingredients well into a dough. Proof for 60 mins. I am using Panasonic SD-P104, Mode 9 Bread Dough. This includes proofing for 30 mins, so I continue to let the bread proof in the machine for additional 30 mins after it beeped.
If you do not have a bread machine, simply add all ingredients together in your mixer bowl, and knead into a dough, proof for 60 mins.
2. Tear the starter dough into small pieces to mix together with the main dough’s ingredients. Proof for the 2nd time for 30-40 mins. (I am also using the Mode 9 Bread Dough to do this)
3. After the 2nd proofing, divide dough into 40g each. Roll into rounds and rest for 10 mins.
4. Take the round dough and roll into a longish shape, swiss roll it, and rest for another 10 mins.
5. Roll the dough into a longish shape again, swiss roll it, and place the dough into lined baking pan. I am using 8″ pan here.
6. Proof the dough for the last time, about 50 mins. Just before the 50 mins are up, preheat your oven to 160C. Brush the surface of the dough lightly with egg wash or melted butter.
7. Bake in middle rack of preheated oven at 160C, for about 12 – 15 mins.