For this entire week, I had been thinking of different breakfast items for the husband.
Today I made this quick Japanese curry rice for a change hehehe… And he seemed to be quite happy with it!
I made everything from scratch in the morning, and I think it took about 40 mins. To make things faster, I made the curry using ready made curry cube, using my electric lunchbox, and prepared things for the little one at the childcare centre.
I am using Yoei 2 tiered ELB 🙂
Quick Japanese Curry
(Serves 1 Adult)
– 1 cube of S&B Japanese Curry paste
– 60ml water
– 1 medium sized potato, or 2 baby potatoes, diced
– 1/2 carrot, diced
– Some frozen peas, optional
– 1 egg
– 1/2 cup rice + water
– 1/4 to 1/2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
1. Place curry paste and 60ml water into inner cooking pot of electric lunchbox. Add in diced potatoes and carrot.
2. Place rice + water on top of the cooking pot. Steam both together for about 30mins. (I added about 150ml for my ELB outer pot for steaming)
3. At the same time, place an egg in a pot of water. The water should cover the egg. Bring the water to boil. Once boiled, off heat and let egg remain in the pot for 3-5 mins. Cool the cooked egg in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking.
4. About 5 mins remaining of the steaming time, place a bowl of frozen peas in the electric lunchbox (I am using 2nd tier for this).
5. Once curry is cooked, remove cooked peas and rice. Use a spoon and gently stir the curry paste so that it dissolves well. If the curry is too thick, add in a little hot water to your preferred consistency.
6. Add in about 1/4 to 1/2 tbsp of ketchup or tomato paste for color and taste. Stir gently to mix well.
7. Cool curry and rice well before packing into lunchbox. Serve with the hard boiled egg and some fruits of your choice.