This is for an order. I am actually sort of afraid of making sponges, so I am set to make it good. Hee hee hee.
I first tried out the traditional genoise for the shortcake, but I used a non-stick pan and it couldn’t rise. The cake was quite dry too.
So I went in search of another sponge cake that is fluffy and soft in taste.
Pure Vanilla Sponge (Recipe from Nasi Lemak Lover)
– 5 egg yolks
– 25g sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 85g water
– 65g corn oil
– 135g Top flour or Cake flour
– 5 egg whites
– 90g sugar
– 1/2 tsp cream of tartar *I omitted
1. Prepare an 8″ round aluminum cake tin. You do not need to line with paper.
2. Separate eggs into 2 clean mixing bowls.
3. Add sugar into egg yolks. Whisk till light.
4. Add in vanilla and corn oil, mix well. Add water, stir well to combined.
5. Sift in flour. Stir till well combined.
6. Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar till foamy. Gradually add sugar in 3 batches and continue beating till approaching stiff peaks (Meringue stand straight with slight curve at the tip).
7. Take 1/3 of meringue and use a hand whisk to mix well with egg yolk batter.
8.Fold in 1/3 of meringue and use a silicone spatula, gently fold with egg yolk batter till slightly combined. Fold in the balance meringue and gently fold till well combined.
9. Pour into the cake tin, bake at pre-heated oven at 140C (no fan) for 25mins at low rack, then increase to 160C(fan forced) for another 40mins.
10.Once baked, turn your sponge cake upside down and cool completely before remove from the cake pan.
And during my search for the best recipe:
If you would like to place an order for this cake, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org 🙂 10% of all our sale proceeds will go to Arc Children’s Centre.